Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aGuy
Level 7

ATSC 3.0

How will Roku facilitate ATSC 3.0 for Smart TVs that rely upon a Roku Tuner?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
andyross
Level 15

Re: ATSC 3.0

That most likely will require buying a new TV.

Tivoburkee
Level 20

They'll probably do the same thing that happen when Analog tv channels were dropped, for older TV's there will be  small convertor box.

Edmund
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 15

It'll probably be quite awhile before broadcast stations start changing, assuming they even stay on the air. More and more spectrum is being taken away for mobile data. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 500MHz band go away in a few years. That will leave less and less room for TV stations. As it is, the 600MHz auction resulted in many stations just selling their spectrum and shutting down, or 'merging' with another station.

RW-UM
Level 7

ATSC 3.0 should be a win-win for everyone. My smart TV and surround sound are ready for HDR and Atmos sound, both of which make a very noticeable and visceral change in the viewing experience, but there are few providers for high quality content. Detroit stations have already committed to start broadcasting in ATSC 3.0. Incorporating an antenna input and an ATSC 3.0 tuner in a Roku box will make it a "Killer" appliance for every existing smart tv out there. Add "Picture in Picture" and I could watch CNN News and Fox News at the same time on my 4K tv (that was intended to be a joke, although PiP would be nice) . I don't want to add another tuner box to my setup. I want one box to "Rule them all" so I can throw away my tv remote, which, after 2 years, is already showing its age.

atc98092
Level 21

Yep, won't be any different than any other existing TV that has an ATSC 1.0 tuner. Either an external tuner box that connects via HDMI or replace the TV. There's no practical way to update any existing TV for the new standard. There's a handful of TV that might permit adding an update module (Samsung has offered it for years, but not on all TVs), but they are an extreme minority. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
JMM1
Level 10

Here is a good article that seems to have a lot of update-to-date information. Though I admit I'm still confused about many things after reading it.

ATSC 3.0: Next-Gen TV to Hit 40 US Markets in 2020

0 Kudos
JeremyM
Level 7

Is there an official response from Roku? While reading up on the standard, it appears a few manufacturers will be making set-top boxes that can accept this standard and output via HDMI. Maybe a Roku Ultra is planned to accept this standard or another Roku TV?

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 15

Stand-alone Roku's have no inputs or tuner, so ATSC has nothing to do with them.

I'd assume future Roku TV's would have ATSC 3 tuners at some point. Whether or not current ones would be upgrade-able is hard to tell. It's up to the manufacturer, as each one uses different hardware and just puts Roku software on top of it.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@JeremyM wrote:

Is there an official response from Roku? While reading up on the standard, it appears a few manufacturers will be making set-top boxes that can accept this standard and output via HDMI. Maybe a Roku Ultra is planned to accept this standard or another Roku TV?

Roku doesn't build TVs, they only supply the operating system to the TV manufacturers. the companies that build and sell Roku TVs will have to answer that question, not Roku themselves. I'm sure that ATSC 3.0 tuners will be used in Roku TVs when other manufacturers start offering them.

I'm unaware of any ATSC 3.0 TVs available yet (although there might be a couple), and there's almost no stations currently broadcasting ATSC 3 other than a handful of test stations, so it's a little of a chicken or egg thing. If you remember there was a long transition period between analog NTSC and ATSC 1.0. I expect the transition to be shorter this time, but it's still going to be some time before an ATSC 1.0 tuner is non-functional. And I'm sure there will be converter boxes available to allow viewing ATSC 3.0 broadcasts on TVs that don't have such a tuner. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos