Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tuskvt
Level 8

ARC/CEC Stopped Working with TCL 55R615 and Denon AVR1612

I have a TCL 55R615 with Roku TV connected via HDMI3 (ARC) to a Denon AVR1612 receiver.  Recently ARC and CEC stopped working.  Powering on the TV does not power on the receiver.  Volume control on the TCL/Roku remote does not adjust the volume on the receiver.  Audio from the TV is coming out the receiver.  This all used to work until just recently.

On the TV I go into System -> Settings -> Control other devices (CEC) and no devices are found.  If I tell it to search it can't find any devices.  All options are enabled (ARC, System audio control, 1-touch play, System standby).

On the receiver I have HDMI Control turned ON.  Also, P. Off Control is set to All.

I've rebooted the TV and receiver.  I also disconnected other HDMI devices from the TV (Switch, Blu-Ray, Apple TV, Xfinity).  Still cannot get the TV to see the receiver.

My TV updated yesterday (9.1.0 build 4917-30).  Not sure if this is the cause or not.

Anyone else having problems with this?

Labels (3)
10 Replies
Jumperbuggy
Level 8

Re: ARC/CEC Stopped Working with TCL 55R615 and Denon AVR1612

Today I have the same thing with my 65R615 and Pioneer VSX-1131. When I scan for any cec devices, it can’t find any. 7121X fw 9.1.0 build 4917-30.
0 Kudos
Jumperbuggy
Level 8

I have contacted bot Roku support and TCL support and am awaiting responses from level 2 of each.
tuskvt
Level 8

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.  I'll be curious what they tell you.  I've noticed that mine is working intermittently, though mostly not at all.  I was suspicious of my HDMI cable, but I tried another one and had the same problem.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the notes here. 

• Have you tried going into Settings>System>Control other devices (CEC) and disabling the options available, then re-enabling the options once more, and searching for devices?
  • Have you also tried this approach with your connected receiver? 
  • Have you confirmed that you have the TV connected to an HDMI port that supports ARC if this option is in use? 
  • Have you tried adjusting the HDMI mode in Settings>TV inputs>HDMI #(that the receiver is connected to) to either Auto, HDMI 2.0, etc. to see if the same issue occurs? 

If that still isn't doing the trick, please send me a private message with the following information: 

- Roku device serial number (Settings>System>About) 

- Specific make/model of A/V receiver or soundbar you are using

- The current settings you have enabled in Settings>System>Control other devices (CEC) 

- The current setting you have selected for the receiver's HDMI input - 'HDMI mode' in Settings>TV inputs

- A detailed description of the behavior you see, the steps you take when powering the TV on, the change in input selection you make on your receiver, any error messages you see, etc. 

I'll follow up directly to see how we can assist further. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
tuskvt
Level 8

Yes, I have tried all those things.  I will send you a message with the info you requested later this evening when I am home.

-Scott

0 Kudos
Jumperbuggy
Level 8

Sorry. How do I private message you? Never mind. Found it.

0 Kudos
Sabony
Level 7

Yes. Mine was working seamlessly until the system update. Please post the fix when you receive it. I really don’t want to be on the phone for an hour with each level of support.
0 Kudos
avrx2000
Level 7

Yes, there is another thread from August with the same issues. I posted last Friday that my issue (audio but no video ) started on or around September 19th. After looking at the other thread I think that it’s related to a system update. I have the same configuration and build as you do. I’m using a Denon AVRX2000 that supports 4K etc. I’ve tried all combinations of the HD settings for CEC, selecting only Dolby Digital, reboots and one hard reset of the TV; one tip I saw had to do with running the TCL in guest mode. I’m going to try that today. I also have a new Sony in another room and am going to run an HDMI cable to that from the AVR to see what happens. That should all but isolate the issue to the TCL if it works on the Sony. One other note, I did periodically experience the handshake issues described before this. However it was intermittent.
0 Kudos
Jumperbuggy
Level 8

After some troubleshooting with TCL support, they sent a technician out to replace the main board. This seemed to have no effect. I unplugged my Pioneer receiver from HDMI 3 and left the Amazon Fire TV stick 4k in HDMI 1. When I scanned for devices - it found the fire tv stick! I then plugged the receiver back into HDMI 3 and initially, it still was not passing audio. I was getting ready to swap receivers and just tilted the receiver out to double check HDMI connections when suddenly sound was coming through the receiver speakers! I did the CEC search and both units were recognized. I must stress that the HDMI cables were fully seated in the receiver. During troubleshooting, I had swapped cables multiple times, but the cables were always seated fully. I am still in correspondence with TCL support regarding the matter even though it is working now. I guess the biggest takeaway I had from this is to test cec devices one port at a time to be sure that cec is working at all.

0 Kudos