Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eupho7
Level 7

Re: ARC/CEC Stopped Working with TCL 55R615 and Denon AVR1612

I've had the same issue, with my Ymaha YAS-180 soundbar working for about two months on a TCL Roku TV, TCL model 55S405 and then randomly stop working about a month ago. I just got it to work again, though I'm not exactly sure what did the trick. We'll see how long it lasts. Here are the last steps I did that resulted it in working:

-Turned every setting on in the System > CEC panel (ARC, System audio control, 1-touch play, System standby)

-Disconnected everything from all HDMI ports on the TV

-Disconnected every cable from the soundbar (HDMI and power)

-Reconnected cables to soundbar, and then HDMI cord to TV ARC port

-Set sound bar to "TV" and NOT "HDMI"

0 Kudos
Mz2hot
Level 7

I have been dealing with this intermittent behavior since I purchased this TCL ROKU 55R613 / 7120X connected to LG LAS450H.  This issue is 100% TCL ROKU.  I had this sound bar hooked up to a LG TV and a Samsung TV NEVER had any issues with sound ever.  This HDMI ARC nonsense only occurs with the TCL ROKU.  So in order to get it back working I turn off all the CEC options unplug all the cables from tv and soundbar Turn the tv on and and then I turn all the CEC OPTIONS back on again.  Start an app. Netflix or whatever and start playing a movie. Plug the HDMI ARC into the port and power on the sound bar.  In my case if it doesn’t connect the sound bar digital display will show optical until ARC kicks in.  I unplug and plug in again and turn off the sound bar until the sound bar gives a signal to the SB that it wants the ARC HDMI.  Then sound will start back again.  It may last 2 weeks, 3 hours, 1 month... then all of a sudden boom not working again.  The technology is bad. PERIOD

0 Kudos
murphyc23
Level 8

After a week of bashing my brain against the connections (Onkyo TX-NR676 to TCL 65R625), I've solved it in probably the simplest way:  I bought brand new upgraded HDMI cables - specifically, Premium High Speed HDMI cables.   I plugged them in, reset everything on both devices to the settings I originally had, and it was all working again.

So upgrading the cable was the solution, but I'm not sure why the previous setup worked for 6 months and then suddenly failed and every other cable that I had on hand failed in the same manner.

My best guess is that there was an update or change to the TCL (the Onkyo firmware hadn't been updated) that forced an HDMI update.  All of my existing cables were High Speed HDMI or High Speed with Ethernet.  Both of those carry ARC - they obviously did before this.

It appears they can't carry the newer Dolby sound tech that has been rolled out by Netflix and others, so that could have caused the issue.  The sound signal may have changed coming from TCL/Roku app?  This is all guesswork, I am not a HDMI or sound expert by any means.

Anyhow, I offer this to everyone who's having sudden issues with TCL / Roku sound - there may be something forcing an HDMI cable change.  I used Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI - the important words there are "Premium High Speed".

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/

https://www.lifewire.com/hdmi-cables-and-connectors-what-you-need-to-know-4685377

0 Kudos
Scottt1174
Level 10

It’s Roku not TCL. Roku controls the imternal software not TCL.

jdmac29
Level 9

I used mono price high speed cables for my 625 and receiver also. The cables state earc compatible so I went with those so far no issues even after the software update. 

0 Kudos
kh3
Level 7

My audio receiver via the ARC from my television will not play sound on the speakers if I have a computer plugged-in to one of the audio receiver inputs. We have to have the computer plugged into an input on the television directly (not getting to use the ARC function), but we have to unplug it before starting up the television and receiver for the audio receiver output to ever work.

As for the CEC, it is a separate function and it will not work if the computer is plugged in at all. please note that the ARC and the CEC work independently of each other, and that I use my television as a monitor for my computer, so if any of you are a plugging in a computer or laptop to your audio receiver or television this will be the cause of your audio issues. Any device that is unable to use CEC disables the CEC function for the whole system!

VTHokie96
Level 10

@kh3 wrote:

My audio receiver via the ARC from my television will not play sound on the speakers if I have a computer plugged-in to one of the audio receiver inputs. We have to have the computer plugged into an input on the television directly (not getting to use the ARC function), but we have to unplug it before starting up the television and receiver for the audio receiver output to ever work.

As for the CEC, it is a separate function and it will not work if the computer is plugged in at all. please note that the ARC and the CEC work independently of each other, and that I use my television as a monitor for my computer, so if any of you are a plugging in a computer or laptop to your audio receiver or television this will be the cause of your audio issues. Any device that is unable to use CEC disables the CEC function for the whole system!

MY Setup: Win10 Pro PC --> Onkyo AVR (HDMI 2.2 PC Input) --> Onkyo ARC HDMI 2.2 Out --> TV HDMI ARC) Input.  Everything is always up to date (OS, firmware,...)

The issue at hand for myself, and I expect many others, is that ARC works sometimes.  Sometimes not.  Very frustrating.  That fact that it does work at all indicates the problem does not lie with cables, ports, HDMI spec 2.2,..... The problem lies with the periodic drop (or lack of connection on initial startup) of ARC audio; either due to HW or SW. HW is not the likely culprit, but the possibility does exists.  The more likely possibility is SW (negotiation/establishment of connection, sensor timing (or ARC signal from AVR), reconnect protocols,...), which tends to be the general consensus of many, of which I'm one of them.  This problem lies with many different models of TCL TVs and various brands of AVRs. 

Roku OS in commonality of our reported issues, and many aspects (SW modules) of Roku OS likely being reused across the board (not likely that custom build for each and every TV). So you'd expect issues to arise and be reported.  However, the vast majority of TCL TV owners do not have setups likely we the minority (AVR's with 7.1, 5.2.1, Dolby ATMOS,...setups and PC Home Entertainment Centers).  But we exist and expect features/functions to work as intended.

Abdude123
Level 7

I have to agree. My tv seems to work fine but every few months it wont recognize any cec device . I turn off the tv unplug all hdmi cables and plug then in again. tv works fine. 

chrismartin
Level 7

I just encountered this problem.

Video works fine, but no audio. Volume control works (TCL -> Denon). All other HDMI inputs on the Denon work fine.

TCL 65R613 (9.2.0 Build 4504-30)

Denon AVR-X1400H (Firmware 4600-1383-1042-4045)

Everything worked great from last December up to yesterday.

Tonight, no audio. I reset audio/video, changed the CEC settings back and forth, changed HDMI settings back and forth, rebooted TCL, powered off/on TCL, tested with second 4K HDMI cable. Also tested with both auto and static HDMI and Audio settings (stereo, Dolby, DTS, etc)

On Denon, tested various HDMI/ARC settings. Also tested with different power on orders.

I'm going to pick up another HDMI cable (8K that supports EARC and all that) to see if it fixes anything. If not, looks like RokuTV will not be able to be used at all really. I can't use SPIDF because it won't do ATMOS.

ETA: AND... Now it's working again. Just sitting here, powered it off and back on again after playing around with the AppleTV it has audio via ARC again.

0 Kudos
murphyc23
Level 8

Replying to @kh3 

"I use my television as a monitor for my computer, so if any of you are a plugging in a computer or laptop to your audio receiver or television this will be the cause of your audio issues"

This adds a wrinkle to it all, @kh3 .  I have been using my TCL65R625 television recently as a large monitor for family Zoom happy hours, etc.   My Win10 laptop was connected to a free HDMI port for an hour or two; no sound issues were seen during this time.   

What makes this frustrating is that:
1) No issues were seen when the laptop was connected, and sound was transmitted to the AVR speakers without an issue.

2) I had connected and disconnected the laptop at least three-four times over a few weeks without any issue seen.   The lack of sound transmission between the TV to AVR did not begin immediately after any disconnection of the laptop, it just wasn't working one day when I turned the system on.

3) I have connected my laptop to the TV at least one more time since I "solved" the issue by upgrading the HDMI cables.  The issue has not recurred (knock on wood laminate).

4) As part of my troubleshooting, everything was reset to factory settings on all sides.   How does the Roku software or TCL firmware or the Onkyo firmware "remember" that my laptop was ever in the mix?

That said, I don't doubt you.   As seen by the reports of everyone in this thread, the mix of hardware, firmware, and protocols is ridiculously complex.   I still don't know the root cause of my problems.

I think I will stop using the TCL TV for virtual happy hours and only use the dumb TV in the den.

0 Kudos