Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

ARC/CEC Control Suddenly Stopped Working - 65R625 and Yamaha RX-V377

The ability to adjust the sound on my Yamaha AVR using the Roku TV remote suddenly stopped yesterday. All I get when I press the up or down volume buttons is what the current volume level is. Mute button does the same thing - no longer mutes sound. It was all working fine and then I turned on the TV as I usually do and suddenly ARC/CEC sound control was not working. I made no changes to settings or connections on either the TV or the AVR. I've tried everything from turning off ARC/CEC on both the TV and AVR and then turning them back on to try and reset the connections, disconnecting the AVR and then reconnecting it. The TV can search and identify the AVR (did so from the beginning three months ago) so it's seeing my AVR correctly. I've even done a factory reset on the TV and started completely over with setting the TV inputs and searching for and identifying my AVR. I've left the settings on my AVR unchanged from when everything was working - ARC is on, Sync is on and Sound Control is on. Even connected a new HDMI cable between the TV and the AVR ARC port, still not working. The TV also does not turn off my AVR any longer when I turn off the TV. I have to use my AVR remote to do that also now. However, once I turn off the AVR and the TV and then turn the TV on again, it does turn on the AVR. I was very close to purchasing another TCL TV because this one had been working so well, but now I am holding off. The convenience of the built-in Roku interface is great but if the ARC set-up can tank like this without warning or without any sort of user fix that I can find, I'm probably going to look at another brand and add-on a Roku. Looking for any help this community can give me. Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: ARC/CEC Control Suddenly Stopped Working - 65R625 and Yamaha RX-V377

@foaxaca wrote:

The ability to adjust the sound on my Yamaha AVR using the Roku TV remote suddenly stopped yesterday. All I get when I press the up or down volume buttons is what the current volume level is. Mute button does the same thing - no longer mutes sound. It was all working fine and then I turned on the TV as I usually do and suddenly ARC/CEC sound control was not working. I made no changes to settings or connections on either the TV or the AVR. I've tried everything from turning off ARC/CEC on both the TV and AVR and then turning them back on to try and reset the connections, disconnecting the AVR and then reconnecting it. The TV can search and identify the AVR (did so from the beginning three months ago) so it's seeing my AVR correctly. I've even done a factory reset on the TV and started completely over with setting the TV inputs and searching for and identifying my AVR. I've left the settings on my AVR unchanged from when everything was working - ARC is on, Sync is on and Sound Control is on. Even connected a new HDMI cable between the TV and the AVR ARC port, still not working. The TV also does not turn off my AVR any longer when I turn off the TV. I have to use my AVR remote to do that also now. However, once I turn off the AVR and the TV and then turn the TV on again, it does turn on the AVR. I was very close to purchasing another TCL TV because this one had been working so well, but now I am holding off. The convenience of the built-in Roku interface is great but if the ARC set-up can tank like this without warning or without any sort of user fix that I can find, I'm probably going to look at another brand and add-on a Roku. Looking for any help this community can give me. Thanks!

Is the software on your tv 9.30.4150? 
Are you able to ck the hdmi port on the avr with possibly another tv in your home? Another post earlier had same thing happen and it was his avr hdmi port. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My software is version 9.2.2 and I cannot get the TV to update to another version when I click on "Check for update". I do still have the TV that was connected to that AVR before I replaced it with the TCL 65". I'll reconnect it and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@foaxaca wrote:

My software is version 9.2.2 and I cannot get the TV to update to another version when I click on "Check for update". I do still have the TV that was connected to that AVR before I replaced it with the TCL 65". I'll reconnect it and see what happens.

Go to remotes and devices and select setup a new device. Select speakers and it should force the software update. Mine would not update either like you stated the normal way. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Software update hack was genius - worked great. Thanks for that info but unfortunately, it did not help. I'll connect the previous TV later tonight and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

ARC CEC on the AVR works when connected to the TV it used to be connected to. I can control the sound and turning the TV on and off, turns the AVR on and off. Now, my TCL also no longer turns the AVR off when I turn the TV off. It only turns it on. TCL support asked me to do the following (none of which have made a difference). I'm waiting for next steps.

To make sure that the steps you performed in troubleshooting are aligned with our recommendations, please refer to the following steps:

1.  Drain the power of the TV.
       a.      Turn the TV off and unplug it from the outlet.
       b.      Press and hold the TV Power button on the lower right corner at the back of the TV for 15 seconds.
       c.      Turn the TV on again.
2.   Perform a system restart.
       a.      Select Settings.
       b.      Select System.
       c.       Select Power.
       d.      Select System restart.
3.  Perform a Software Update.
      a.      From the home screen, select Settings.
      b.     Select System.
      c.      Press OK on System Update.
      d.      Select Check Now.
4.    Reset TV audio/picture settings
      a.    From the home screen, select Settings
      b.    Select System
      c.    Select Factory reset
      d.    Highlight Reset TV audio/picture settings
      e.    Press the Play/Pause button three times.
5.    Perform a factory reset. Please take note that this resets the TV to its factory default and clears the Roku account in the TV.
      a.    From the Home screen, go to Settings
      b.    Select System
      c.    Select Advanced System Settings
      d.    Select Factory Reset
      e.    Select Factory Reset Everything.
      f.    Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the reset.
0 Kudos