Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Louis_Nenda
Level 9

9.4.0 firmware update for TCL Roku TV stinks

I guess it's because I'm an old phart but I remember when you switched a TV set on it would work exactly the same way that it worked the last time it was turned it on. No surprises unless maybe a tube burned out.

A few days ago our TCL Roku TV was rebooted due to a short power outage. When it powered back up there were a lot of differences, most of them not good ones. (According to the system settings the update actually occurred on December 18th 2020 but the changes did not take effect until the TV was rebooted rather than just suspended.) The firmware is now version 9.4.0 build 4200-08.

First thing that was noticeable was that changing over-the-air channels using the remote's directional buttons was agonizingly slow. You have to wait for all of the increased information to load and display for the channel you land on before you can proceed to the next. A real PITA. To change channels quickly now you have to go into the program guide, and that is sluggish until its data is loaded.

But - surprise! Now there are hundreds of additional channels (internet streaming) that have been added. There are so many that it is not feasible to scroll through the channels. I did find the setting to turn that off but it has randomly re-enabled itself several times now. Another change in the program guide is that it is no longer possible to go back and check on a program that aired prior to the current time, if for example you want to get the season and episode number for future reference.

Then we go to use the live TV pause feature and it is glitchy as heck. Before the update and reboot it worked very smoothly.

Also I noticed that after using the Roku media player when going back to live TV there is no picture unless the set is rebooted.

It seems evident to me that this release did not receive sufficient testing before being deployed. Since there is no way to go back to the previous, very stable and functional release I am not at all a happy camper. Maybe it's time to get the old RCA New Vista console set working again.

23 Replies
cake4bkft
Level 7

Re: 9.4.0 firmware update for TCL Roku TV stinks

Agreed! The update has made my TV so slow and unresponsive. Netflix now takes forever to load and when you select a video it sometimes is buffering forever. Before the firmware update my Roku TV was amazingly quick and responsive. 

scottybones1971
Level 8

Since recent firmware upgrade I've had nothing but issues, can't use my plex or tablo, whether via ethernet or wireless. They really messed up the recent firmware upgrade, I'm done with TCL Roku.

kingbird50
Level 7

I concur and I will add also that my Sharp Roku TV -- which was once a pleasure to use is now a source of torment.  Put it this way I have to fight with it every time I change a OTA channel.  I have to wait upwards of 40 seconds for it to exit an app and return to the main menu.  And don't get me started about features being randomly turned back on after they have been turned off.  Which, it's not just my TV -- all of my Roku devices now act cray, cray because of the 9.4 update.  Long story short -- I am done with my Roku TV and I am done with Roku as a company.  As such, and going forward, I will not purchase any more Roku products because of the issues. 

scottybones1971
Level 8

Thanks for post, just wanted make sure it wasn't me and my TV.  I just purchased a new LG TV.  I think I'll give this TV to my neighbor's teenager as he is an avid gamer and it will make for a good monitor Smiley Happy

~s

Louis_Nenda
Level 9

We're not talking minor issues here. The flaws are so egregious that I can't believe any significant testing was done before this was released (or escaped) from the developers.  It seems like an alpha-quality release. The previous version worked fine for the most part and there is no real value that I can see to the changes that were made.

Even Microsoft Windows has a means to roll back a bad update. Here there is no recourse but to hope that maybe the problems will be fixed at some point, and most likely that will take months. Very aggravating.

NedPepper
Level 9

Please, ROKU, just remove this update. I think everyone knows that if they want to watch those stations/channels, just go to the "ROKU channel" and select "LIVE TV" and boom, there it is, all your 165 stations. Can someone explain why they are pushing this to be incorporated in the TV guide? Nobody seems to want it. Maybe give the "Roku Channel" / "Live TV" a shortcut.

renojim
Level 21

People seem to love it or hate it (I'm firmly in the "hate it" camp).  As to why, it's clearly because they make revenue off of those 165 channels.  Roku is becoming more and more about how much revenue they can make off of advertisements and it will be the death of them.

Stevenna
Level 7

Personally I love the integrated OTA streaming integration with the guide. LG and others have had this for years.

I would like to see a simple filter for OTA/Streaming/Favorites

This simplifies the interface for non technichal users having to jump in and out of different applications with inconsistent menus and ways to access their version of the guides 

0 Kudos
JimBob
Level 9

I love the fact that I can hide the internet channels. I hate the fact that I have to wait for the guide to load. And also that I cannot go back to an earlier time, to check an episode details. I'm thinking this will be the last Roku that I will have. I might just go ahead and buy OTA tuner, or factory reset the tv and use a Firestick, to watch any apps on