Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsunami231
Level 10

9.4.0 build introduced screen black outs

So i have TCL 55515

Model 7118x - Roku TV

YS002n948284 (FT2832948284

9.4.0 build 4190-30

ID 84-460-432

Ever since the 9.4.0 update my screen has gone and black for second or 2 then came back no less then 4 times since I got the update 2 days ago. So far it has only happen on the input my ps4 which was in HDR mode have not noticed it happen on my input for dish or PC, or on home menu cause i rarely on (Home menu or PC ) dish input is on 8 hours day which less then input for ps4 but it only happen on ps4 input so far. All input are and have been set to 2.0 since the day I got the tv 2 + years ago.

I was hoping 9.4.0 would fix the gamemode issue not sure if that is fix and wont for while cause that was random but now i have this issue that wasnt there prior in 9.3. I been up TCL ass about the gamemode issue for months to a month ago found out the issue is coming from roku software.

Please fix the issue with your software. of all the tv I owned i never had issue with any of till I got my first "smart" tv that get updates now I have to worry about updates breaking things?

I didnt have gamemode issue till 9.3 and I didnt have is screen blacking out issue till 9.4

49 Replies
K1ngd0mH3art2
Level 7

Re: The 9.4 Update yields minor flashes/stutters

I have been having problems lately where my tv display will randomly mess up by merging two different scenes together. Also when I have my xbox series x to 1440p, the dimming zones will have minor flashes/stutters. Have to reset the tv twice a day now for it to work properly. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. #tcl6series 

0 Kudos
3WHughes
Level 7

Re: The 9.4 Update make picture flicker

My Xbox Series X didn't automatically allow HDR like my Xbox One S did. After the update the XBOX detected the tv as HDR. Since then the picture will occasionally flicker black or turn green. I was using the Xbox packaged HDMI 2.1 cable, now I'm trying a 2.1 I purchased on Amazon. I think the real solution is aTCL update that forces the XBOX to recognize the panel is HDR. 

0 Kudos
Hooooops
Level 8

TCL Roku TV SeriesX bug

Other people w/ the same tv are having these issues as well; tcl 2018 6 series... on the series x HBO will loose audio and video and you get a black screen periodically and in games the lighting flashes with really bad image tearing and lag, especially w/ Ray tracing enabled in game... please resolve this I want to play my new console!!

ZeroCoolGOS
Level 7

Re: The 9.4 Update flashes black for a few seconds

I have a 2018 TCL 6 Series and as of Saturday my firmware was updated.  Now when I'm using my Xbox One X, my display flashes black for a few seconds.  It's really annoying.  At first I thought it was the Xbox and then I looked at maybe it was the HDMI cable.  I swapped the cable and it still did not work.  It looks like it was 9.4 firmware update that rolled out on that day and that was the first day that this started happening.  I hope Roku is on this and will address very soon.  This seems to be causing major issues with people starting to upgrade there consoles this week.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: SeriesX bug

@Hooooops 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing?

In adddition can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-what gaming device are you connecting

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: 9.4.0 build introduced screen black outs

@tsunami231 

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Would it be possible for your to record a video of the issue you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
tsunami231
Level 10

Right a video of it happen? it random it happen when I lest expect it too. It happen again today on ps4 input in HDR mode screen black out for 2-3 seconds and and before it came back it was scrambled split second.

ID 84-422-336

Got  this 5 minutes after happen rest of info is the same. I have replace every single one of my HDMI cables that were 10gbps to 18gbps cables so far I have still only seen this happen on input the ps4 is on. Seriously I rather annoyed. I have 2nd 7118x in another room doing the same exact thing with screen black out at random. I so far THINK  the gamemode getting gliched requiring a system restart  issue is fixed though.

I starting to regret buy TCL and using roku I had zero issue with this tv till 9.3.0 which when the gamemode issue start now that seem fixed but 9.4.0 introduced even more annoying issue

tsunami231
Level 10

Here video of the,   "example" of the black out I talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVV4R3P-bh0&feature=youtu.be

Now  the blackout flicker I talking about look like the above but happen at random could be hours before it happens but so far 5+ times it happen after the 9.4.0 update and it I only seen happen on in HDR mode I have not seen on dish input which isnt HDR which ruing 8+ hours day  and I have not seen it happen on my PC input which isnt ran in HDR either but really havent use pc input in months. And the TV flickering  a bunch time show in video when going from Home to HDR input is something new normally TV just flickers once and then show the input. atlest it did in 9.3.0build And it DOES so long as it NOT HDR

Before the update I had no such issue with screen blacking out, After noticing the update I went on ps4 to see if gamemode was working proper and within 5 hours of starting to play it happen and so far every day I have used ps4 since the update each session has had it happen atlest once

Not once since I had this tv was this ever a issue till after 9.4.0 and with hour of getting said update it start so I assuming it issue with update

Is it possible to for the tv to notify us Before there is system (os) update ? and maybe denying it?

PieMan
Level 9

I have a tcl 615 and it’s giving a similar issue since the update. Someone posted on Reddit that the temporary fix is to have only 1 hdmi cable attached to the tv at a time. I tested this when the black screen flashing was happening by pulling the hdmi cable out of the tv from the device that was not on and sure enough the issue instantly stopped. Since I’ve only had 1 hdmi device plugged in at a time the issue hasn’t occurred a single time. Your issue may be different but give it a try, it’s a **bleep** fix but from my time with tcl/Roku this isn’t something that is going to be fixed anytime soon.