Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eb50
Level 9

Re: 9.4.0 Update is broken TCL Build 4190 PS5 worked 1 day ago before update

Danny... What's the resistance from publishing the roll back?  

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Level 9

I hate to break to you guys, but it has nothing to do with 9.4. If you search you'll find the same stories 2-3 years ago. You'll find people believing unplugging this device or that made a difference, but all they did was power down and up, etc. There's a fundamental issue with Roku acting as the firmware for these TVs, period, end of story. That they haven't been able to resolve the spontaneous reboots, freezes, etc, says a lot. My new TCL 65S535 is going back tomorrow. It started rebooting and freezing on day two, was fine for 3 days, and started again tonight. Shame too, the TV is great for the price, compares very favorably to bigger names selling for almost double the price, but a half price brick isn't a bargain.

Anyway, to document mine, it has occurred each time the TV was left on and I left the room for an extended period. The TV had shut down and when restarted it came up with the red TCL splash screen, rebooted, came back and froze, numerous times until I unplugged it and it cleared. There's an assertion it's looking for a USB drive to do an update, that other USB devices cause the problem, etc. I have NOTHING plugged into any port on the TV except an HDMI soundbar. The Roku software is up to date so if it's looking for an update somewhere, that's pretty bad coding.... Sadly I'm gonna have to spend another $500 to get something comparable but I'm tired of dealing with this and don't have much longer until my Best Buy return window closes.

0 Kudos
Ceridwen
Level 10

Then why is mine functioning perfectly on 9.3?  And why isn’t everyone’s tv malfunctioning after every update? What you said didn’t make sense. Good luck though.

0 Kudos
ggroch
Level 8

Wahoooo!

My TCL just received an update to 4.9.0 build 4200-30 that solves my issue with flickering video when more than 1 HDMI input is used.  I could not hook up my newest gen Chromecast and Cube at the same time. 

I had to "check for updates" and it downloaded and installed.  Works great so far.

JPLavigne
Level 8

Same for me! I updated the tv and all the issues I had are solved.

Thanks @RokuDanny-R for the open Communication. It is to bad QA team did not catch this bug before roll out but I am happing for the service I received.

Ceridwen
Level 10

Truth? Is it working for anybody else. Can’t find anything online about a new update.

0 Kudos
sporez
Level 8

Update seems to have fixed it for me also. Awesome!

Ceridwen
Level 10

What’s the software version. Afraid to update.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Level 9

“Then why is mine functioning perfectly on 9.3?  And why isn’t everyone’s tv malfunctioning after every update? What you said didn’t make sense. Good luck though.”

Then why is there extensive threads about these very same issues way way back in way earlier versions? When you get a clue let me know.

PS, TCL told me to return my TV (which I did) because the rebooting was likely hardware. Gee, I wonder why TCL wouldn’t just blame Roku 9.4... with that, adios.

0 Kudos
sporez
Level 8

Maybe previous versions of the Roku software have had issues but it's obvious that a serious bug involving multiple HDMI sources was introduced in the previous update whereas many of us had zero issues with it before that. And now with tonight's update, the issue is fixed, further proving a serious problem with the previous update.