Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heezy
Level 7

9.2.0 Local Contrast not working and other issues

P607

9.2.0, 4501-30

it's been a few weeks since i messed with the picture settings. so i was adjusting the local contrast last night and noticed the local contrast setting wasn't working properly and it has something to do with Game Mode. here is what i noticed,

• when Game Mode = OFF, Local Contrast works.
  • when Game Mode = ON, Local Contrast uses the same setting from when Game Mode = OFF, but changing Local Contrast setting shows no effect. the picture is stuck on the same Local Contrast setting no matter what setting you choose. (example, if LC is HIGH with Game Mode OFF. turning Game Mode ON, LC is will always be HIGH, even if you adjust it to OFF, LOW, Medium)
  • turning Game Mode OFF, Local Contrast OFF, then turning Game Mode ON, Local Contrast from OFF to LOW/HIGH works......, but turning it back to OFF shows no effect. the picture will be stuck on the LOW/HIGH setting.
  • using Xbox One X with the auto low-latency mode turned on, it automatically enables Game Mode when starting a game. works great, but now the Game Mode setting in the picture settings is greyed out, not able to adjust it when a game is loaded, which means, since Game Mode is ON, Local contrast doesn't work. it did not work this way in 9.1 update, i think.

so there are issues the local contrast and game mode that i discovered last night. i hope these issues can be resolved in the next firmware update. thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
amstel78
Level 8

9.2.0 - Dynamic contrast disabled for apps?

Just discovered that with 9.2.0 on my TCL P607, the option for Dynamic Contrast is permanently greyed out when using built in apps such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. This is with the local contrast setting turned off.

The dynamic contrast setting does work however when adjusting picture settings for HDMI inputs.

Has anyone come across this?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 9.2.0 - Dynamic contrast disabled for apps?

@amstel78 Thanks for reaching out and sending over your details. I've passed your report along to the team to take a closer look and will follow up with you directly to continue investigating. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
amstel78
Level 8

Re: 9.2.0 Local Contrast not working and other issues

Local contrast seems to work on my TCL P607 but Dynamic Contrast doesn't work on streaming apps.  It does work however on HDMI devices once local contrast is disabled.  I don't believe it was like this prior to 9.2.0.  Can you confirm similar behavior on yours?

Easy way to test is to launch a built-in streaming app like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.  Once a video is playing, go to the advanced video settings and try to enable dynamic contrast.  In my case, it's greyed out no matter what I do. 

I will test local contrast in game mode with my XB1X and revert.

0 Kudos
amstel78
Level 8

@RokuTannerD  thanks for getting back to me.  You helped me out initially with HDR issues and Xbox by sending over the beta version of firmware 9.2.0.  Unfortunately I've since discovered this dynamic contrast issue.  I cannot recall though if it behaved like this prior to 9.2.0, but I have a strong suspicion it didn't.

Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@amstel78 I received your PM and have passed your report along to our team. I will follow up directly when I have any further news, questions, or updates to share. Thanks for your patience in the meantime! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Heezy
Level 7

i tested some streaming apps and Dynamic Contrast is indeed greyed out. i can adjust Local Contrast, but the setting has no effect on the picture. looks like these settings are broken for the time being.

0 Kudos
amstel78
Level 8

@Heezy wrote:

i tested some streaming apps and Dynamic Contrast is indeed greyed out. i can adjust Local Contrast, but the setting has no effect on the picture. looks like these settings are broken for the time being.

Thanks for checking.  At least I now know that this problem isn't limited to just my set.  On my 607, the local contrast function does indeed work though in streaming apps.  I can see various gradation changes in dark and light areas when toggling through the options.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Heezy  Thanks for the details here. I'll pass these along to the team to take a look. I'd also recommend following up with TCL support to report the issue and request any further troubleshooting or suggestions they may have to provide. 

I'll follow up directly with any additional questions or updates. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Heezy
Level 7

thanks for the reply. i will get in touch with TCL support and keep this thread updated with info.

0 Kudos