Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

75” TCL R615 Apple TV Dolby Vision Issue

I am noticing a serious issue with Dolby Vision content when played from ITunes or the TV app on my Apple TV 4K. Certain scenes every time you get to them appear to be blown out with brightness and colors almost look inverted. I have submitted a ticket with Apple to look into this including video and sysdiags. I wanted to see if anyone else out there with Dolby Vision capable TCL TVs and if they own either “The Matrix” or “A Quiet Place” and if they can replicate this issue that I am having. See below for video footage and scenes to test. I included the same scene played back from the Vudu app in Dolby Vision to show how it the same scene plays back correctly.

TV: TCL 75” R615

Troubleshooting completed:

• Tested all HDMI ports on the TV

• Tested multiple 18gbps high speed HDMI cables and HDMI 2.1 48gbps cable

• Full reset TV

• Full reset Apple TV

• Tested Dolby vision content from all other sources with no issues

• Tried adjusting all picture settings

A Quiet Place from TV app

The Matrix from TV app

The Matrix from Vudu app

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: 75” TCL R615 Apple TV Dolby Vision Issue

Same tv, same issue. Only happens on Apple + shows - See, and For All Mankind. Scenes are always dark, and it seems to happen for the entire camera “shot” - when switching to new camera angle the issue usually goes away. The end of the recent See episode is was readily apparent during the end fight scene which was extended dark scene.

This is the first post I’ve seen that describes what is happening.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

TCL has admitted it’s a firmware issue and eta for a fix is April 2020 from Roku. They are currently processing a refund for my TV.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Ok thanks!

If you don’t mind what was your refund process?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

After my ticket was open for 2 months and 1 month after their support engineer verified my issue. I contacted and spoke to support supervisors multiple times that it was defective and waiting 4-6 months for a fix was unacceptable. Finally after going back and forth for a week I got a call back that they would be processing a refund. I’ll report back when that’s complete.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Just submitted my first ticket. What a pain. At least now I know it’s the tv and not some setting. Thank you for going thru all the leg work etc. Interested to see if they come through... Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Would be nice if Roku chimes in on this

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

April 2020? That’s a crazy long time since Dolby should have provided the fix to them like they had to for both Sony and LG.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I’ve found the issue in an episode of Ozark - first time for me not watching something from Apple.  It was the Netflix app on Apple TV, in Dolby vision.  Same scene on the built in roku Netflix app - also Dolby vision - has no issue.  
Also have the “Geek Squad” from Best Buy coming at end of the month.  I have the extended warranty, but when I called the Geek squad they said it’s a TCL problem for the first year because of manufacturers warranty.  I didn’t know this would happen when I bought the geek squad coverage so I went to my Best Buy store to complain.  They also didn’t realize I wouldn’t be covered in the first year so the manager forced thru a service ticket to get them to come out.   

I have low expectations of that visit but I’ll post if anything comes of it.  

0 Kudos