Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UtahDave
Level 7

65" TCL and CEC issues with Denon receiver

I've got a 65" TCL Roku TV and a Denon AVR-S540BT receiver. I've had the receiver hooked up to the TV via ARC since May and it's worked perfectly until a Roku system update a couple weeks ago. Now it is VERY unlikely to send audio to the receiver when I first turn the TV on. It's set up for CEC which has also worked until the recent update. Most of the time the audio does not work even though the receiver turns on with the TV. The TV is trying to send audio somewhere (since there's no system audio from the built-in speakers) but I don't get any sound out of the receiver unless I go into the system menu and have it scan for CEC devices. Until I do that it reports that there aren't any CEC devices. It looks to me like the startup check for CEC is running before the HDMI handshake is complete.

Check out this Reddit thread for other people reporting the same/similar issues:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/cmjvel/roku_tcl_tv_update_and_soundbar_shenanigans/

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 65" TCL and CEC issues with Denon receiver

@UtahDave

Thanks for the note here. A few questions to help better understand what you're experiencing: 

- Do you have Fast TV Start enabled in the Settings>System>Power menu? If not, try enabling this. 
- Have you tried adjusting the HDMI mode in Settings>TV inputs for the HDMI ARC input you are using to see if this makes any difference in the behavior occurring? Try changing this between Auto, 2.0 & 1.4 to see if the same issue occurs on all selections. 
- Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable connected the soundbar to the TV, just to test and ensure this isn't affecting anything? 

Feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku TV from Settings>S/ystem>About for more assistance, if those tips aren't helping clear up the issue. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
UtahDave
Level 7

Sent a PM.

Basically I tried all of the suggested troubleshooting steps and none of them were effective in resolving the issue.
0 Kudos

I am in the exact same boat as you @UtahDave!! My Denon receiver goes away from the CEC list after powering down. This to started happening after the update as well. I have a 55” 6series
0 Kudos
alexm9999
Level 7

Same here. 55" 6 Series. I had to switch to optical cable to get reliable audio. Sure seems linked to the 9.1 update. Seeing other problems with this update too, now my antenna reception blanks out for a second or two periodically.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Michigan_Nate
@alexm9999

Thanks for sharing the notes here. Please also send me a PM with more information including your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku TV from Settings>System>About, and the specific make/model of receiver that you are using. Please also see my note above, and let me know if any of those suggestions help improve the issue you are seeing. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I wanted to follow up here. 

In Settings>System>Control other devices, please check to make sure that you have 'ARC' and 'System audio control' enabled, and test this functionality again. 

You might also try separately enabling 1-touch play to see if this resolves the issue you are seeing. 

Please let me know what you discover!

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
OJohny
Level 7

After following instructions above. I still have the same problem as the others above with my TV and DENON AVR 740 receiver. My TV Hinsense 65R6+ 

software 9.1.0. Serial number. YN00XH201447

jean in Ontario. 

0 Kudos
tuskvt
Level 8

Similar problems here, reported in a separate thread (didn't see this one earlier).

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/ARC-CEC-Stopped-Working-with-TCL-55R615-and-Denon-AVR1612/...

avrx2000
Level 7

The exact same thing just happened to me in mid September. Has worked fine with the Denon AVR and then in September around the end of the month the video through the ARC quit working but the audio works! I have done troubleshooting on the HDMI cable (works fine bypassing the arc port). This is ridiculous.
0 Kudos