Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drhiii
Level 7

55" TCL 4K Roku question

I have a 55” TCL Roku TV.. purchased on Amazon. Works pretty well.
Question is… while it is a 4K TV, am I truly pulling in 4K streams from say, Netflix, Amazon, etc? How can I really determine this?
And, I read briefly a thread about a new Roku 4K stick release. I have no reason to upgrade to anything like this do I? Which is why am asking about the 55” TCL Roku.. am I pulling in 4K streams. I have the top subscriptions on all the services. tx
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: 55" TCL 4K Roku question

Amazon used to have an indicator that showed if the stream was HD or UHD, but it was removed. With Netflix, you used to be able to press * during playback and show the current stream info. That no longer works, but with some devices you can press * while still in the browse section (not after you've selected a video, regardless if you've clicked play) and the same info will display during playback. The only way to turn it back off is to exit the video and again hit * in the browse section. I haven't tried it in some time, so can't say if it still works. 
YouTube has Stats for Nerds that can be triggered from the menu during playback.
Other than that, about the only way to tell would be to monitor your streaming bitrate from your network. And that's beyond most users abilities. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
drhiii
Level 7

Re: 55" TCL 4K Roku question

Thank you for your reply.  I understand everything you posted.  I learned some new things.  Much appreciated. 
0 Kudos