Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HnySingh
Binge Watcher

50’ Sharp roku tv + Sony Ht-ct350 Sound bar issue with Hdmi Arc- no sound until input switch

Hi, is it just me or someone have similar issue. So i am connected with hdmi (cec) to hdmi arc port 1 on my tv, i have firestick 4k hooked up to hdmi 2. Tv is set to directly boot to fire-stick so when i turn on or off both tv and sound-bar turns on and off as intended but there is no sound through soundbar even though i can increase/decrease the volume & both tv & sound bar shows volume go up & down but no sound. Audio output is set to hdmi arc in roku settings.

things which fixes this problem

1. either I change the output audio to tv speakers & back to hdmi arc in roku settings which fixes the problem

2. Cycle through all the inputs on soundbar example- tv, bd, dvd, etc & back to tv which fixes the problem

3. or turn off/on sounbar manually which fixex the problem. 

all these things to resolve this issue are huge pain to do why can’t a feature work as intended. Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: 50’ Sharp roku tv + Sony Ht-ct350 Sound bar issue with Hdmi Arc- no sound until input switch

Roku didn’t make your TV Sharp did. Therefore you should contact them. But usually ARC isn’t HDM1 or even 2. It’s usually the last port. Look on the back or side of the TV. There is only one ARC port. Send a pic. Also if you own a Roku TV why do I have a firestick plugged into it? My Samsung TV with my Roku ultra works great with my Samsung soundbar using the ARC port on my TV. 

0 Kudos
HnySingh
Binge Watcher

Re: 50’ Sharp roku tv + Sony Ht-ct350 Sound bar issue with Hdmi Arc- no sound until input switch

Thnx, for the reply but it seems like a software glitch therefore its roku’s problem. On my tv arc is labeled on hdmi 1 and i like to use firestick cause its android therefore more features. Even if i pull out firestick i have same problem.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Roku does not make TV's. Your TV is made by Sharp. Roku only makes the operating system. So you can ask Sharp. Can you upload a picture of the HDMI ports on the back of your TV please. Only 1 port should be labeled "HDMI ARC"

0 Kudos
HnySingh
Binge Watcher

Yes, I understand that roku does not make tv’s but still it seems a software glitch & it gets roku software updates, hence a roku problem

37FC1536-BD0D-4269-A43F-A8C406C08A2A.jpeg

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Roku makes the software. How the hardware behaves is on Sony. The Roku OS is like Apple. Meaning everything is part of an ecosystem. I have a 65" TCL Roku TV with the Roku Wireless Speakers and subwoofer. The entire system works flawlessly. I also have a 55" Samsung TV with a Samsung soundbar connected via ARC and a Roku Ultra. All work great. What if you try the optical port? 

0 Kudos
HnySingh
Binge Watcher

U have a point there it may be a glitch from sony side aswell but since sony soundbar is from 2011 it won’t get any software fix but roku can fix it from there side with this particular sound bar as my tv still gets software updates. I yet have to check optical cable for issues if any or none i will let u guys know here

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Ok now we get the entire picture. You have an 11 year old soundbar hooked up to a newer TV. 100/1 that is the issue. You can buy a Roku soundbar or the Roku Wireless speakers. I see this often when people don't upgrade things in pairs. My cousin bought a new TV but could not understand why is 12 year old DVD player was not working correctly. 

0 Kudos
HnySingh
Binge Watcher

Kk, so i also plugged in optical cable. Now when i turn on both sound bar & tv if the sound fails to go through hdmi, optical signal is used automatically or else goes through hdmi & it gets labled on my sony soundbar. Not a fix but better than changing inputs. I hope roku updates OS to fix these issues with hdmi. Its always some issue with their OS recently.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Are you using both the HDMI Arc and optical? If so you cannot. It’s one or the other. And like I said your using an 11 year old soundbar bar on a modern TV. 

0 Kudos