Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

43" TCL Roku TV 43S435 with Roku Model Number C134X can't manually update

I keep getting an error when trying to download the Roku firmware from tvupdate.roku.com. I get this error: Unrecognized model. You must enter a valid Roku model number to continue. Anyone ever have this issue? Could really use some help. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 19

Re: 43" TCL Roku TV 43S435 with Roku Model Number C134X can't manually update

Can you update from within your Roku TV's menus?

Settings > System > System update > Check now

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 8

I was able to update connected to the internet. My issue is, are these TVs now required to be connected to the internet? After a restore and SKIP internet connection prompt, once setup WITHOUT internet the TV alerts me that functions like sound options and CEC one remote would not function properly. I owned a 32 TCL Roku TV 32s327 and this was never an issue. Sound and CEC worked just fine without an internet connection. I thought maybe a USB restore might solve the issue on this tv, but I am unable to download the Roku software from the Roku website as stated in the first post. I have a sound bar connected to the TV and would like the sound option and CEC to function properly without this TV connected to the  internet. Thank you for responding to my issue. 

Update: I think it is my sound bar causing this (Sound Options and CEC). It is a TCL Alto 6+. I thought being a TCL product it would just work.

Also, I still would like to be able to do updates to the TV using USB. Anyone from Roku know why this is not possible?

Thanks

Level 7

I'm having this exact issue!!!!

Level 8

Now I'm able to download a update.roku file but when I insert the usb it says "Contents of the update file are invalid. Please try again." My usb is formatted in fat32 MBR. Anyone else have this?

Level 8

This is my issue:

"Roku TV Ready™ is a partnership program to give you confidence when seeking an audio upgrade. Audio products featuring the Roku TV Ready badge have been verified to work seamlessly with Roku TV. You'll enjoy a smoother setup, easy access to sound settings, and compatibility with your Roku remote when adding a Roku TV Ready audio product. This means no juggling remotes to adjust the volume or sound settings. Just look for the Roku TV Ready badge."

Currently a pop up on my TCL Roku TV with a TCL Alto 6+ Soundbar:

Roku TV Ready

"Since you're not connected to the internet, Roku TV Ready won't be enabled. You won't be able to use one remote for your system, and sound modes may not show up in TV settings." 

Which they don't. How has this been "verified" to work seamlessly with Roku TV?

Level 9

I've never tried manual update. (I assume you've seen that page describing how to do it.). I might try a different USB flash drive. I wonder what a flash drive looks like after you go through the Roku process to enable rewind/timeshifting for antenna tv? It formats it or something. If that device is accessible on the computer where you're downloading the update software, I'd try that, believing Roku should be able to read the USB drive it formatted itself. (If it still objects to the update file on that drive, I suppose call the support number.).

Your other point about truth in advertising(?). I think the only solution will be more word of mouth (reputation, reviews on retail sites.). The FTC takes complaints about that sort of thing. You could demand your money back. So far the manual update doesn't work as advertised, nor the other feature. If you bought a car, and it started firing on 3 cylinders, and the bluetooth didn't only worked with phones that had a data plan, I think that would turn into a big deal (legal issues).

"[Roku CEO] Wood’s goal is to control video access to the world — to be the 'one box that rules them all.'" (Techcrunch, February 23, 2011). The latest software update removed any doubt who rules & controls my TV.
Level 8

Tried a different usb with the same outcome  "Contents of the update file are invalid. Please try again."

Hoping Roku can hopefully provide an update that would resolve the issues I am having before I start demanding refunds or complaining to the FTC. I think I will contact TCL though, and tell them of the issues I am having so it is documented on their end. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Level 9

@Rjsvod wrote:

Hoping Roku can hopefully provide an update that would resolve the issues I am having before I start demanding refunds or complaining to the FTC.

That suggestion probably sounded extreme. I should have explained more. People who don't have internet access can't watch their tvs (antenna tv, anyway) after the last update. Others who stream & have internet can't watch theirs. I don't think you'll find Roku to be responsive about the manual update problem (not "ready" not working).

If you want to update the tv's software to see if that fixes the "Roku ready"problem, I think it would be easier to take the tv somewhere with internet, and use home>settings>system>system update "check now." (Be advised: you my find yourself in a worse situation, according to many here.).

If that update doesn't fix the remote problem, I doubt Roku will fix it soon. (IMO, they'll probably think it affects a tiny number of people, and they assumed everyone would have internet, etc. Compared to people with real, induced outages after the last update, and no real responsiveness to that either. You know what I mean?).

I could be wrong. I'm not trying to dissuade you. Best thing to do would be to call support and see how that goes. From what I've seen, my seemingly extreme suggestion may not be so extreme.

"[Roku CEO] Wood’s goal is to control video access to the world — to be the 'one box that rules them all.'" (Techcrunch, February 23, 2011). The latest software update removed any doubt who rules & controls my TV.
Level 8

When I originally posted I couldn't even get to a update.roku file and it wouldn't even recognize the model number on the tvupdate site. Now I am able to get a file, it recognizers the model, but the file seems busted. It seems they are working on something so, you never know.