Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xueqiu21st
Level 7

2160p video from USB not play normally

I have some trouble playing videos from USB on my TCL Roku TV (55S405). It works fine for 1080p videos. When I try 2160p (seems HEVC with .mkv extension), it can play, but there seems something wrong with the image. As an example, I tried two videos. For the first one, the image looks blurred and it seems everything is in the mist (https://drive.google.com/open?id=18kkTTenuax7-p8Y3I4kUcrMdqrgf2yRj). Since they are playable, I don't think it is a compatibility issue and this Roku should be able to play HEVC videos. Any solutions or ideas? Thanks!
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 2160p video from USB not play normally

You can see more information about supported file types and formats for Roku devices and Roku TV's here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-do-i-use-roku-media-player-to-play-my-videos-music-an...

You might try re-encoding a file in H.262/.MKV then trying to play the file again. 

Edit: The above configuration may not support the resolution you are looking for, but is currently a supported format for RMP playback on a Roku TV. 

Let us know how it goes! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Tanner, not a valid suggestion. H.262 doesn't support 4k resolution. The best he could do is to use Handbrake and use H.264. While I've never tried playing media on my Sharp Roku TV via USB, I do stream H.265 from MKV containers without issue over DLNA. These videos are not transcoded in any way, so his Roku should be playing that media fine. I would have to see the ffmpeg information on his files to see if there's something odd about the codecs. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@atc98092

Edited my response with clarification. Sounds like you can be of more help here than I! Smiley Happy 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
xueqiu21st
Level 7

Thank you both for the information and suggestions. I am a lay person and will try to figure out how to obtain the ffmpeg information on these files later today.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

FFMPEG for Windows can be downloaded for free from this site. Extract ffmpeg.exe and copy it into the same folder as your video files. This makes it much easier to use. Open a command window, or what we used to call a DOS window, and change directory to video location. Then type ffmpeg -i [video file name] and hit enter. Note that if your file name has spaces in it, you have to enclose the file name in parentheses, like this:
ffmpeg -i "star wars (1977).mkv"

You can then copy the returned information and post it here. Then we can identify if there's something in particular that might be causing a problem with these files. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
xueqiu21st
Level 7

Thank you so much for your detailed instructions! Here are the outputs for the two files:
1. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SZySN_ki3jBvL-7y1oaXgV-7wYlhBRE4
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

OK, both files are HEVC/H.265, which all 4K Roku players support. I think the issue is that the first audio track for both is Dolby trueHD. No Roku device supports trueHD or DTS Master Audio. Frankly, I'm surprised they play at all. It also looks like you might have used MkvMerge to assemble the file, and it's possible that something has gone amiss during the process. I see a lot of audio tracks, and captions tracks in SRT and PGS format. The caption tracks might be an issue as well. I've never seen an SRT caption track embedded inside a container, it's always been an external file. Also, the majority of captions tracks are in PGS, which Roku does not support. Unless you are viewing these files with some other player that supports PGS captions in the MKV container, such as a Shield, they aren't useful to you. 
I believe these files would play fine using a DLNA server, or a dedicated media server such as Plex or Emby. I use Serviio, and have assisted the developer in creating Roku specific profiles that handle the non-playable audio tracks. But the captions will never be visible using a Roku player and DLNA. But they would be available if you use Plex or Emby, as they have software conversion of the captions. 
Dan
0 Kudos
xueqiu21st
Level 7

Thank you so much for looking into the files. So is there any way to do something (conversion?) to my video files so that they can be played via USB while still maintaining the 2160p resolution?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

To play via USB, your videos have to be in a completely Roku compatible format, since the Roku itself cannot convert anything. So the video codec has to be MP4/H.264/265 (H.265 only works on 4K Roku players and TVs), the audio codec has to be AC-3 (Dolby Digital), AAC (2 channel only) or PCM, and the container has to be MKV/MP4/MOV. The link that Tanner provided has further detail about supported codecs and containers. But to play via USB directly connected to a Roku it has to meet these requirements. 
How do you convert your videos to be completely compatible? Handbrake is probably the best tool to use. It's free, and has built-in profiles for converting videos for Roku playback. Just be aware that it will take about 4 hours to convert a 2 hour 4K video, assuming you have a reasonably powerful computer. I currently have version 1.2.2 on my computer. Under presets there are 5 Roku options. If your player supports 4K, use the "Roku 2160p60 4K HEVC Surround" profile, otherwise use the "Roku 1080p30 Surround" profile. However, I did notice that even though these profiles are labeled Surround, they are converting the audio to 2 channel AAC. I would probably change the audio to AC3 and Mixdown to 5.1 Channels (assuming your source has more than two channels). It will also burn the subtitles into your video if desired, but remember there's no way to toggle them on/off if they are burned in. You can uncheck the box and the PGS subs will remain in the video. But no Roku player will show them. 
Now if you want to leave your videos as is, then you require transcoding. The only way to do that is using a DLNA server that offers transcoding on the fly, or a server that offers a specific app/channel for Roku. For servers that offer a Roku app, Plex and Emby are probably the two best available, and they are both free and have versions for Windows, Mac, Linux and some NAS devices. Both also offer extra capabilities with paid versions. For DLNA servers, I am of course partial to Serviio, but there are many others available as well. Some are completely free, some have free versions with additional capabilities if you pay, and some require a paid license. For streaming within your home network, the free version of Serviio does everything you need. The paid version is mainly if you desire to access your media from outside your network via the Internet. Plex also allows outside access, even with their paid version, but you have to use their app.
Dan
0 Kudos