Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwolf17589
Channel Surfer

[10.5] Update Broke my Roku TV C127X Backlight issue

Hello Roku,

I have read over and over that you are working on this issue, but that is not helping me. Can you please allow me manually install 10.0, and have my TV start working again. Please help me asap, thanks! 

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuIrene-S
Retired Moderator

Re: C127X Roku 10.5 Update Broke my TV

Hi @jwolf17589

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you.

Would you mind giving us more details about the issue you experienced?

Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  • exact steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

All the best,
Irene

0 Kudos
jwolf17589
Channel Surfer

Hello Irene,

I got fed up and hoped this would be fixed with a patch or new software version, by now, but it has not. Here is the TV info

Roku tv C127X

TCL model 43S421

Software  version 10.5.0 build 4210-93

Tracker ID 0w-505-670

The issue occurs constantly and looks like the back light is broken, but periodically brightens, so I know it is not a mechanical issue

0 Kudos
jwolf17589
Channel Surfer

Please let me know if there is any way to downgrade the software, this is my bedroom TV, and I need it for very little, and have no need for the new software at all. Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
jwolf17589
Channel Surfer

On more update, the * button now no longer works either. Here is an example of the terrible brightness and color accuracy
Here is an example of the terrible brightness and color accuracy

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@jwolf17589

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried turning HDR to Off instead of Always On? In addition, you can try using the Roku mobile app to access the Expert Picture Settings to make sure if your settings are not on default?

For more information about the Roku mobile app and the Expert Picture Settings, visit our Support page here: Expert Picture Settings for Roku TV

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jwolf17589
Channel Surfer

Hi Danny, thanks for the response. I tried expert picture settings, and that can make the color a little better, but the brightness is the major issue. Tried to take another picture, but my phone camera is correcting the brightness. It is the equivalent of having the brightness on about 20. I see flashes of proper brightness. I've had a bad back light before, and that's not the issue directly, and TV is only about a year old. It seems the 10.5 update, lost software control of picture settings. I have read on here about you all sending owners a software downgrade directly, can you do that for me? I just need Hulu, and do not care how far back in software I go. Thanks again

0 Kudos
jwolf17589
Channel Surfer

Re: [10.5] Update Broke my Roku TV C127X Backlight issue

20211220_233922.jpg

0 Kudos
Shade0666

None of the TV information matters all we have to do is let it update and the TV stops working period. Mine did it all on its own and now it doesn't work. I didn't touch anything. It went into recovery mode on its own. I chose which internet connection to use and the password. I have to choose for it to update because it won't work without it. So it downloads the update and restarts. You'd think that would be it but its not. The TV erased everything that was on it and prompts you to connect with the internet and your devices after choosing you language and country. Any way you go about it, it turns off again. I can't manually turn it off or on and it keeps doing the same thing over and over. So my TV is now stuck in a perpetual loop of on/off no matter what I do. I just love having my TV turn on while I'm trying to sleep and shining in my face. That's sarcasm by the way. So the issue we are ALL having is NOT a mechanical issue its NOT a power issue its NOT a settings issue. ITS A SOFTWARE ISSUE. Face it Roku YOUR update is broken. Now all OUR TVs, WE payed our hard earned money on are broken, because of YOUR software update. It would be in YOUR best interest to fix the problem with another update that has the patch. Get it together Roku. STOP trying to blame your customers for YOUR glitchy update.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Shade0666

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried to perform a factory reset on your Roku TV to see if you are able to resolve the issue? In addition, have you tried contacting the TV manufacturer support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

For more troubleshooting steps, visit our Support pages here:

Factory reset your Roku

Fix your frozen Roku TV

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos