Community discussions

Discover Roku questions and answers directly from the community. Find help, troubleshooting tips, how-tos, and make sure you know the latest announcements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angeharry
Reel Rookie

streaming is cheaper? What is the cost

Jump to solution

streaming cable is cheaper?Bestpicsart

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: streaming is cheaper? What is the cost

Jump to solution

It really depends on what you want to watch. If you want a wide variety of content from multiple providers, a cable subscription might be less costly. If your needs are more limited, then streaming might make more sense. 

For myself, I get plenty of OTA TV stations, so no problem with local content. I have no interest in sports. We subscribe to Amazon Prime, so I consider that streaming free. I get HBO Max included with my cell phone plan. So I don't subscribe to any service, and that makes it far less expensive than my previous satellite service. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
atc98092

Jump to solution

It really depends on what you want to watch. If you want a wide variety of content from multiple providers, a cable subscription might be less costly. If your needs are more limited, then streaming might make more sense. 

For myself, I get plenty of OTA TV stations, so no problem with local content. I have no interest in sports. We subscribe to Amazon Prime, so I consider that streaming free. I get HBO Max included with my cell phone plan. So I don't subscribe to any service, and that makes it far less expensive than my previous satellite service. 

Dan

angeharry
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thankyou

0 Kudos
Somewhere

Jump to solution

I've never found it to be cheaper. I am still trying.   I only watch 3-4 channels.  Currently watch them on Roku for free because I have cable, but if I cut cable I can't figure out how much they cost or even if I can buy them al a carte.  Sling is just as much as cable and gives me less.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Somewhere that completely depends on the channel you want to watch. If Sling, YouTube TV or Fubo include those channels in their plan, it might be less expensive than what you pay for cable.

However, when you make your cost comparisons, make sure your cable company isn't going to charge you a higher rate for Internet if you drop your TV service (that is of course if your cable provider is also your Internet provider). 

Dan