Community discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Level 16

Why the picture-based Captcha's suddenly?

Just wondering if anyone has had issues where you now have to solve a picture Captcha to log in? Still wondering why Roku is still so old-school. These days, they have versions of Captcha that don't even need a check-box to click.

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why the picture-based Captcha's suddenly?

@andyross 

I think I have been seeing and solving  that captcha for the better part of over a year now, if not longer.

I clear my cache a few times a day though.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The Captcha seems to be hardware specific as well. I encounter it often if I'm using my iPad, but rarely on a computer. Usually using Chrome on both devices. I sometimes struggle identifying the requested items on a smaller screen like the iPad, so some other person-confirmation would certainly be welcome.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

I had it several times on my computer the past few days, but not on my phone. For awhile, it was the reverse. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 18

I don’t see these but I never log in (except maybe once every few years when the forum logs me out.) I’m posting from a home computer and consider that “secure enough” to leave casual forums like this one logged in all the time.

This forum does have a heck of a time with spam.  Worse than any forum I routinely use.  So I suppose they are trying to control it but possibly not trying the most effective things as they always seem to be behind the spam curve.  Then again, since they are trying to make this forum the only means of support for people who buy cheaper models, I suppose they are also trying to make sure posting is super-easy, and super-easy and super-secure tend to be contradictory.

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 13

I have to log back into the forum every time I come back to this page. Checking the box to keep me logged in NEVER keeps me logged in. It always logs me out and I always have to type in my email address and password again and then solve a captcha. It's so annoying! I don't see the point of a checkbox to select that is supposed to remember your login when it never works.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 18

I've never seen that problem, but a few minutes ago it wouldn't let me post a reply because the post limit is 20,000 characters. The actual length of my post was 288 characters. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

If you close the browser, you have to log back in. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 18

I just closed Firefox, reopened it, and posted - just like any other forum.

I assume you are not browsing within a private window?  Those will typically discard any cookies when closed, and your login token is typically in a cookie.

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 13

I don't use private windows. All of my logins for all other sites remain logged in every time I go back to those sites whether I close the browser or not. Except maybe after long extended periods I'll be logged out, which some sites do after several weeks or months. I'd say over 95% of the time I click to remain logged in on sites it always remembers me, but this board here makes me login constantly and it seems to be the only site doing that. It's very mysterious. Unless you are using a private window or you clear your cookies you should not be logged out of sites if you choose the option to remain logged in all the time.

0 Kudos