Community discussions

Discover Roku questions and answers directly from the community. Find help, troubleshooting tips, how-tos, and make sure you know the latest announcements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iona-D
Roku Guru

Re: Warning About Recycling an old Roku Box

Jump to solution

It is a nice thought and gesture to sell inexpensively, donate, or simply give away your old things.  I do draw the line when it comes to the old electronic devices that are filled up with my own sensitive information, encrypted or not.    Old DVD players, dumb televisions, and pre password/passcode devices are fine for that sort of thing.  Sensitive devices with pre stored highly private information like most are not, including old Roku ones-forget it.  Where's my hammer?  Always followed up by a good soaking in water.  Insurance that absolutely no one will possibly bypass resets or the like.  Make it as hard as you can!

End of an major easily preventable problem.  As far as recycling goes, I don't see too much of that going on.  It is a real hassle to locate ANY recycler-especially electronic ones.  Even in a middle of a large urban area.  It seems that no one wants your old junk anymore than you do.  Besides there is little financial incentives anymore for that sort of thing at least around here 

0 Kudos
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yeah, recycling electronics is tricky and only some items are economical for recycling,  Finding locations is definitely an issue, as is 100% certainty that ALL personal/user data has truly been wiped.  The bottom line is that your Roku devices are your personal property, so what you do to dispose of them is your own  prerogative, regardless of what any anonymous personalities in an online chat want to suggest.   

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@HDMIGuy wrote:

You should login to your Roku account and unlink the device that you disposed of, otherwise the user still has access to your Roku account.

Right. No way to activate the device on the account without logging into the Roku website.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos