Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlisAccount
Channel Surfer

Roku Censorship-private channels & video content

Jump to solution

What excuse does Roku use to censor content?  It's not just private channel censorship, it's video 'content' censorship.  So how do they get away with it? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Censorship-private channels & video content

Jump to solution

Removing private channels was not censorship. Many violated the Roku terms of service, and because of legal liability Roku decided to remove them all. So good ones were flushed along with the bad. As far as content on other channels, the providers must still adhere to the Roku terms of service. And since Roku is a private company, they are not required to carry any content. It's not censorship if a private entity doesn't permit content on their platform. They have a right to say no to content.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Removing private channels was not censorship. Many violated the Roku terms of service, and because of legal liability Roku decided to remove them all. So good ones were flushed along with the bad. As far as content on other channels, the providers must still adhere to the Roku terms of service. And since Roku is a private company, they are not required to carry any content. It's not censorship if a private entity doesn't permit content on their platform. They have a right to say no to content.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Here's a document about their terms:

https://docs.roku.com/published/developerdistribution/en/us

davidjazz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku is a private entity, not the government. It can set any standards it chooses and run any content it chooses. It can run its business in the way it decides is most profitable. That's how capitalism works.

AlisAccount
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That's a bit obvious, I'm not a child.  What I'm saying is they're jerks.