Community discussions

Discover Roku questions and answers directly from the community. Find help, troubleshooting tips, how-tos, and make sure you know the latest announcements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaBish
Channel Surfer

Pride and trans propaganda on feed

How do I remove recommendations for gay pride/ trans propaganda from my feed? I am not overly concerned with the ads, for I can just mute them until they are over. What I am concerned with is this content showing up on my feed/ screen saver. This content is not acceptable in my home. Either I can tailor my home screen or I scrub my Roku devices. 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Pride and trans propaganda on feed

@DaBish 

I personally don't use the feed, but my understanding is -- and this matches when I tested it to see what it was -- it shows content that you selected. Check your feed selections and see if the content you picked may have caused the items in the feed.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

optikhog
Roku Guru

The "My Feed" section is something you control.  If you see something in that section, it is because you put it there.  Unfollow the pride shows you decided to follow previously and you will no longer see them.

atc98092

@DaBish wrote:

Either I can tailor my home screen or I scrub my Roku devices. 

Few devices allow removing ads from their home screen. I can't speak about Apple TV, as I've never used one. But Fire TV or other Android based devices all have ads on the home screen that you cannot disable or configure. Just trying to level set your expectations. My Nvidia Shield players all have stuff on the home screen I don't care for, but I have no control over it. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
DaBish
Channel Surfer

Re: Pride and trans propaganda on home screen

Optikhog, thank you for your reply, but I have never followed any of that material. In fact, that would be the LAST thing I would do. Additionally, what I referred to as my "feed" is probably best explained as my home screen.  Thank you for your input; I have changed the subject line in response to your reply. The point I was trying to make was that I want to see what I want to see and nothing else. We all should have the capability to tailor our home page to what we want out of the product; the technology is certainly there. I think my complaint was valid, regardless of whether another person has the same interests or opinions. 

atc98092

Re: Pride and trans propaganda on home screen

@DaBish wrote:

We all should have the capability to tailor our home page to what we want out of the product; the technology is certainly there. 

But you can't do that with almost any streaming player. What you would like is nice, but in general it's not available. In most cases the manufacturer is selling ad space on your home screen, and you have no control over what is displayed. Maybe the Apple TV has a clean home screen, I don't know as I've never used one. But all the Android based players have some version of Google TV as their home screen, and Google places ads on there as well. Since I generally spend very little time on my home screen, I just tend to ignore them all.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
DaBish
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your reply Dan. I am not as concerned with ads as I am with the home screen. Ideally, I would not want to see the ads either, but I don't believe that is realistic. My issue is with the home screen (I previously and errantly referred this as my "feed"). I believe this expectation is reasonable, and perhaps we have all accepted less than we should. Be that as it may, thank you for your reply. 

0 Kudos
DaBish
Channel Surfer

Gotcha DBDukes. However, I have never selected any such material. Thank you for your reply.

Strega
Roku Guru

The dominant theory of manufacturing used to be to sell products for more than they cost to make. However, since the 90s, and the Internet boom, many companies have chosen a model where you sell stuff at or below cost, gain lots of market share, and then find a way to make money.  The way is frequently ads.

I worked on a product in the 90s that had a bill of materials of $1200, but marketing said under $400 was the “right price” and so they were going to make that up with continuous ads on the screen.  (ie: the content you wanted to see would always be just a fraction of the screen.)  I disliked that so much that I moved to a different project.

However, much of the market continues to like cheap or free with ads.

0 Kudos
Voom40

I too wish to have the option to not see LGTBQ subject category on my Roku home screen.  It should a simple matter to choose what categories you wish to see.