Community discussions

Discover Roku questions and answers directly from the community. Find help, troubleshooting tips, how-tos, and make sure you know the latest announcements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone studied/researched Roku and their stock? Why is it performing poorly?

It's going down a lot but I'm not sure why. I feel like Roku is the best media platform out there and I was thinking of buying stocks, but their stock seems to be performing poorly.

35 REPLIES 35
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Has anyone studied/researched Roku and their stock? Why is it performing poorly?

Well the shortest period I generally look at stock performance is 5 years and over that time, it's up more than the S&P 500, Nasdaq, and Dow so I think it's fine. Individual stocks (especially tech stocks) do fluctuate.  Roku got a huge pandemic boost.  Now there's a pandemic bust, rising interest rates, and the same chip/supply chain issues that are causing issues for everyone…

Read some analyst reports if you like, but remember that while the investment news people are great at telling you what happened in the past, they're pretty random at predicting the future. 

@IMTheNachoMan wrote:

I was thinking of buying stocks, but their stock seems to be performing poorly.

I always thought the goal was: Buy low, sell high?  Smiley Very Happy  I've been very happy with my investments made during the crashes of 2000-2001 and 2008-2009.  Your mileage may vary, past performance does not guarantee future results, this is not investment advice, etc.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Has anyone studied/researched Roku and their stock? Why is it performing poorly?

@Strega 

You forgot may cause drowsiness and do not operate heavy machinery.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Strega
Roku Guru

Smiley HappySmiley Very Happy

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku does have more competition now, with Apple TV, Fire TV, almost every TV today has some streaming functionality, and the plethora of cheap Android based players. Also, Roku still hasn't come out with a player that can play local media (ripped DVDs and Blu Rays) with lossless audio bitstreaming and caption display from those discs. 

For ease of use, as well as number of channels/apps available, Roku still reins supreme. But for total functionality, they are losing ground to the Nvidia Shield and those other Android players. I hope Roku decides to make a super player with all the bells and whistles. But so far they don't seem interested.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Fred_McIntyre
Binge Watcher

@IMTheNachoMan wrote:

It's going down a lot but I'm not sure why. I feel like Roku is the best media platform out there and I was thinking of buying stocks, but their stock seems to be performing poorly.

I believe it's because of the companies that they have chosen to align with and their ideologies, on one of my posts a bunch of people were saying all kinds of things about Disney and my entire post, my comments and other people's comments were actually edited by someone at ROKU, I myself find this type of action to be very concerning.

fluke
Roku Guru

I don't think performing poorly is the right way to view Roku's current stock position.

Consider these four dates:

May 3, 2019: 65

May 1, 2020: 114

May 7, 2021: 317

May 5, 2022: 102

What I think we are seeing is a "returning to normal" re-evaluation of Roku.  In 2021, people were doing an usual amount of streaming and services were putting movies on streaming on the same day as the release to theaters.  Under the current situation/environment of 2022, keeping Roku at 317 would be over valued.

By returning to 2020 stock values, Roku's stock is in a better position to go back up and meet market expectations for Q2. 

Carmen2
Binge Watcher

I found out that the Roku tv keeps freezing mostly because of overheating and outdated software. If your Roku keeps freezing they tell you to perform a quick power cycle and update your Roku to the latest version. If the issue is with a particular channel, remove and re-add it. If the problem persists, try a factory reset. However, none of tjis works. They also say Roku tv's stop working after 2-3 years, 5 years tops. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

I own 3 Roku TVs (2 Westinghouse and 1 Sharp) that I never have a problem with not a single one time has a TV overheated. If you are having a problem with a channel you need to contact the channel's technical support.  

Carmen2
Binge Watcher

Wow! That's awesome.  I know so many others who have had unsolvable probems with theirs so after technical support, etc. couldn't help me for days I just went out and bought a new Sony. 

0 Kudos