Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Roku work in the Isle of Man?

Roku is supported in UK. Does this mean it will work in Isle of Man?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Roku work in the Isle of Man?

A Roku will "work" anywhere there's power and Internet. The question is, what channels will work there? In theory, any channel authorized for use in the UK should work there. I say should, because I have heard others mention problems with some UK channels when they were located somewhere other than the main islands. It usually comes down to the IP address that your ISP assigns you. If the provider (say the BBC for example) doesn't believe your IP address shows you as being a UK location, their channel won't work for you. Sometimes ISPs make their public Internet connection far away from your actual location.

In your case, I would expect there to be no problems. Your location is smack dab in the middle of the UK area, so I wouldn't think there's be an issue. Just remember that some UK streaming providers (BBC is one that is a stickler) restrict the model Roku you are using to access their content. If you import a Roku from the US, it's entirely possible it won't work on BBC content. That's one example I know of, there might be others. So just make sure you get an "official" UK Roku player.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Roku work in the Isle of Man?

@Richteabiscuits

There have been reports of issues with Isle of Man not being identified as UK. Roku really doesn't care, but developers do, and that's why some apps don't work in some locations. The key thing is for them to get the location right.

As @atc98092 indicated, you should have no trouble with apps working, but based on reports from others, sometimes people there aren't properly reported as being in a UK location. If this happens, you should probably start with your ISP, then the developer.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos