Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shmelvin
Level 8

Re: whats the best streaming device?

Is there any difference between the 2016 4640X and the 2017 4660 and 2018 4661
0 Kudos

"shmelvin" wrote:
Is there any difference between the 2016 4640X and the 2017 4660 and 2018 4661

There is no difference whatsoever between the 2017 (4660) and 2018 (4661) Ultra models hardware wise...only the better earbuds that come with the latest version.

The 2016 (4640) model is, in the opinion of many, a better device than its replacement. It features an S/PDIF (optical audio) output and has more NVM (channel storage) than the newer model (1 GB vs 512 MB). Roku neutered the 2016 Ultra so they could lower it to the $100 price point.
0 Kudos
shmelvin
Level 8

good to know...I guess I'm sticking with my 2016 until something better comes along
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

I like hope Roku ups their game a little instead of just doing a bunch of TV's and either an Ultra and a stick and a speaker.. I really hope they up the internal storage on these so that there's not the cache issues when loading less frequently used channels.. heck, my roku 3 has an SD slot, but with the cost of memory these days, 16Gb of built in storage for channels shouldn't add a lot of expense. Maybe $8 or something (four 8gb cards can be bought on Amazon for $20). I think internal storage for channels is still at 512MB, a tiny number in this day and age.

Also, offering a much better remote with a keyboard, or at least offering 3rd party Bluetooth compatibility for headphones and keyboards (like Fire TV) is something Roku refuses to get on board with..

Integration with the smart home and devices is something they're way behind on too... There's no reason I shouldn't be able to say "Alexa/Hey Google, turn on Roku TV"..

And yeah, lots of other things.. my 2017 Roku TV's UI is slower than my 2016 stick's.. that should NEVER happen when you're buying a $250 a year AFTER buying a $50 stick.

Sorry, this has just turned into a random rant, kinda.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos