Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shmelvin
Level 7

whats the best streaming device?

Now that the Ultra is over 2 years old and Roku hasn't launched anything better to replace it. What's the newest and best device on the market. I hate to be using old technology.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: whats the best streaming device?

"shmelvin" wrote:
Now that the Ultra is over 2 years old and Roku hasn't launched anything better to replace it. What's the newest and best device on the market. I hate to be using old technology.

Roku did release a Roku Ultra two years ago, but that model, model 4640, has been discontinued. Roku released the Ultra, model 4660, in 2017. The current top Roku is the Ultra, model 4661.

Is there something in particular you want to do that the Roku doesn't do well? Or do you just have $99 burning a hole in your pocket?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
shmelvin
Level 7

Re: whats the best streaming device?

All the reviews I have read regarding the latest Ultra devices say that their is actually nothing new about them regarding internal components and their overall performance. I was hoping the industry had made advancements in the last 2 years to improve performance and the overall streaming experience. Amazon Fire seems to be getting all the press and the Roku Ultra doesn't top any lists today, The Roku Stick seems to be the highest rated at the moment?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: whats the best streaming device?

"shmelvin" wrote:
All the reviews I have read regarding the latest Ultra devices say that their is actually nothing new about them regarding internal components and their overall performance. I was hoping the industry had made advancements in the last 2 years to improve performance and the overall streaming experience. Amazon Fire seems to be getting all the press and the Roku Ultra doesn't top any lists today, The Roku Stick seems to be the highest rated at the moment?

So, the Roku Streaming Stick+, which has the same processor and RAM as the Ultra (4661) is higher rated than the Ultra? I wonder how that works.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: whats the best streaming device?

There is no such thing as a "perfect" streaming player. They all have limitations of some kind, be it supported formats, ease of use, or cost. For supported formats, the best I've found is the Nvidia Shield. But it's much pricier than even the most expensive Roku and isn't as intuitive to use. Ease of use has to be Roku, hands down, but it has a limited number of supported formats. Cost is probably the Fire TV, although it's not much different than a Roku. And with the Fire, it's like you are always on the Amazon channel, with shortcuts to other apps. Of course Roku has more apps/channels available than any other streaming device. 
.
I believe the Stick gets the most notice because it is small and can travel easily. I have an older Stick that just stays in my travel bag. But even with the items removed from the Ultra 4640 to make the 4660/61, I believe it is still the best Roku choice if portability isn't a factor. Having an Ethernet port just cures so many connection issues.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: whats the best streaming device?

Does a Roku fit your needs? Then why do you care what's inside? Amazon doesn't change it's internal hardware much very often either, by the way..

You want specs? Get an Nvidia Shield..

You want ease of use and lots of channels? Get a Roku. It's made for the masses, not for cutting edge specs. You're confusing the Roku with a gaming PC.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
shmelvin
Level 7

Re: whats the best streaming device?

Thanks for the answers, it seems that streaming devices have stalled at their current technological limits. I guess I will just have to wait for the next big breakthrough. I like the Roku, I just find it slow and not very intuitive, now I fully realize that some of my complaints are with the aps themselves. Netflix gets a 9 out of 10 for ease of use, Amazon and Hulu suck in comparison though I wouldn't give them up. 
0 Kudos
empirefalls
Level 7

Re: whats the best streaming device?

I have a Ultra Roku from 3 months ago, And a Roku Ultra from 2 weeks ago, the one with JBL headphones.
I see no difference. 

The newest  Roku Ultra from 2 weeks ago, the one with JBL headphones, I bought because it was $48 with a $35 Slingtv Credit. So it was almost free. But had a hassle with getting the Sling credit, so it may be going back. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: whats the best streaming device?

"empirefalls" wrote:
I have a Ultra Roku from 3 months ago, And a Roku Ultra from 2 weeks ago, the one with JBL headphones.
I see no difference. 

The newest  Roku Ultra from 2 weeks ago, the one with JBL headphones, I bought because it was $48 with a $35 Slingtv Credit. So it was almost free. But had a hassle with getting the Sling credit, so it may be going back. 

There is no difference between the two. The 4661 Ultra is just the 4660 with the new headphones. If you look at the device information screen, it still says 4660 (according to 4661 owners). You have to go back to the Ultra 4640 to find different hardware. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: whats the best streaming device?

"shmelvin" wrote:
Thanks for the answers, it seems that streaming devices have stalled at their current technological limits. I guess I will just have to wait for the next big breakthrough. I like the Roku, I just find it slow and not very intuitive, now I fully realize that some of my complaints are with the aps themselves. Netflix gets a 9 out of 10 for ease of use, Amazon and Hulu suck in comparison though I wouldn't give them up. 


I also hate the Hulu interface.. you could do that I do, and just own an Amazon stick AND a Roku device.. the Amazon Fire stick is good for Amazon centered stuff, you can use a VPN with it, and there's better support for (some) gaming..I use my Roku more though because there more streaming freedom (more streaming apps, basically).. an example- no Vudu on Amazon because they're competition that Amazon doesn't want to officially allow..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos