Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

want to cut the cord...but internet connection has to stay?

I just bought the Roku streaming stick + for my older TV (non smart) and like what I see so far but I know I'll want more. All I wanted to do is save money every month by cutting the cord on my cable TV. I can shut off my cable part but the internet bill is still $80.00 + equipment fee + tax. That's more than my auto insurance bill. I guess that's the bare minimum until someone comes up with a cheaper internet service in my area. Someone is keeping it difficult for my neighborhood to subscribe to a cheaper internet connection! Until then, I'll buy another Roku Streaming Stick + for my other TV's

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: want to cut the cord...but internet connection has to stay?

Yes, most cable providers will charge a higher rate if you cancel their TV service. Sometimes they offer a very reduced channel package that makes the Internet and TV price lower than Internet alone. 

If you don't have any other options for Internet, you're kind of stuck. With SpaceX beginning to beta test their Starlink satellite Internet service, you may have future options. At the moment, Starlink isn't any cheaper, as it's about $500 for the hardware and $99 per month. But as they get their full complement of satellites in orbit and operational, prices are expected to come down. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Is the 'new customer' pricing very different than your current internet bill? I get internet only and every couple years (after their price hikes after locking you in) I can cancel and wait one full month of no service, then sign back up as a new customer with their new customer pricing. For the month I'm out, I tether my cell phone to comp for normal web browsing and stick it out for a few weeks. Maybe get out, experience the real world or so, then burrow back in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have a 100 mile antenna. The Rouku supplements it. I pay $23 a month for Philo and $12 for Hulu, ESPN and Disney plus. I spent a hundred dollars on a Tablo, $150 on the lifetime guide service. I have had the antenna for close to 2 years. It cost me a $100, plus $100 for the amplifier. All of the supplies cost about the same as two months for cable or Satellite. The Roku was bought 5 years ago for $90. I am not paying money to anyone to watch local channels. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Atlantic Broadband Cable Alternative

So I'm my area, Hulu + Live makes the most sense. No AMC is a deal breaker.  Is "AMC +" available and a good alternative meaning will Walking Dead etc be available streaming live (not sure what the lingo is) for the newest seasons real time. Wife would kill me if she had to wait. Also, will going with Hulu + Live via Rokus alleviate the need for both a TiVo DVR ($37/ month) and HD DTAS for each TV ($7.99 ea/month.  Am I on the right track. Thanks for any input.  Jim 

0 Kudos