Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wildsprite
Level 9

[suggestion] Ethernet pass through dongle

you have many devices now that are wi-fi only which is ok for those that can use only wi-fi
you should consider changing your newer wi-fi only devices to allow the usb power in to be able to function to allow a Ethernet dongle  so we can have 10/100 wired connections.I'm sure the dongle wouldn't be that hard to do. you could offer it as an optional accessory in your store online and offer packages with the dongle in it. the idea is really simple and should not be very costly on the part of Roku. 

since I'm not certain of the rules to post links(I tried searching for it but wasn't able to find anything) to other web sites I'll just post the details of a certain competitor's product(I covered up their logo to prevent issues) 

• Slow or weak Wi-Fi connection? Take advantage of the speed and reliability of wired internet.

• Easy to set up – simply connect the Amazon Ethernet Adapter into the USB port on your Fire TV and plug in an Ethernet cable directly from your router.

• 10/100 Ethernet"

if a post such as this is against the rules please remove it and send me a message explaining why
thank you
0 Kudos
2 Replies
2pints
Level 7

Re: [suggestion] Ethernet pass through dongle

The Amazon Fire TV stick runs a highly customised / forked version of Android which includes driver ( support) for things such as keyboards, mice, ethernet adaptors and so on.
Roku runs its own OS, based on linux with some bits locked down, there is no native support for things such as ethernet dongles and so on, although it would be welcome if such things could be added such as a dongle or power supply 'brick; with optical out and Ethernet in ports.
 There could be a licensing issue as well as software support ( and all the testing both hardware and software that goes with it) which would/could add cost - which I'm guessing Roku wouldnt want to spend
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 9

Re: [suggestion] Ethernet pass through dongle

given that it is a customized linux I doubt this would be a difficult thing to add to the core of the OS should they consider this as a serious option
0 Kudos