Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

french language emails from Roku

Why do I receive marketing emails from Roku in French when I have all my options set English language?

This doesn't make sense.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 21

Re: french language emails from Roku

A user reported earlier today about receiving an email about their Rokus being shut down if they didn't pay a subscription fee. There is no such thing, so it's very likely a scammer. I'd be curious what your email says. Did you run it through a translator page like Bing or Google offer?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

No, I don't believe it's a scammer. I can read and speak French, but I find it rude to presume that just because I live in Quebec manufacturers assume that I want to be communicated in any language OTHER then the one I have specifically selected in their system...

Roku knows I speak English as I chose that as my operating language. they have no reason to assume I wanted any communications in French.

0 Kudos
Level 21

OK, just wanted to check. I agree that your account should have a language specified and that's how they should communicate with you. But I just checked my user account, and I find no reference to language there. I can understand them not taking a language from the devices themselves, but for some reason I would have expected them to have such a setting under the user account. Of course, since I'm in the US I can see them defaulting to English and not offering an option. But for other countries, perhaps the user account has a setting in there somewhere. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I think I would be less annoyed if they just said, "we only support English language" rather than assuming the due to geo-fencing of my IP address, they assumed I speak French.

I am unimpressed with Roku in this respect.

0 Kudos