Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iona-D
Level 10

Re: You may NOT need an Antenna

I think people still need an antenna, even as a back up.  I have antennas scattered throughout the house and use them over live streaming services like Locast.   Locast is available in the Greater Los Angeles area & has been for some time now. 

I gave them a try when it was first offered here and was disappointed at their strong arm tactics for "donations."   They might portray themselves as a "non-profit" organization, but I experienced otherwise when I gave them a try.  So back to the boring, yet well positioned, antennas that don't hit you up for money. 

Next year, the broadcasting towers on Mt. Wilson & neighboring mountains should be finished getting a badly needed upgrade or two,  finished changing channel positions, and whatever else they're doing up there.  Then I will  evaluate again whether Locast is not only needed or not, but even should be continued to be kept on my Roku's channel/app list & my smartphone as an app like it's currently displayed now or simply completely dropped on all my devices. 

I prefer to  use my data allotment on VOD anyway. I don't get the Locast strong arm tactics there either.  It's really either completely free or I choose to pay for content that I really look forward to see.  I only use OTA broadcasts now for local news, 1 program I like to watch weekly,  and maybe sports.  

What do I need Locast for?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I use OTA more for recording, rather than watching much live. So Locast doesn't help there. But it does offer clear viewing for channels that have a less than stellar signal at my home. If I took my antenna out of the garage and gave it a better position, I'm sure I could clear up my reception issues. But my HOA would understandably complain. The law allows me to install an antenna, but I don't think my 7' boom Yagi meets the requirement as "minimum size needed". 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 10

HOA?  That's another troublesome issue many of you have that I don't experience over here in my rather eclectic neighborhood.  I don't know if your HOA would complain about a indoor flat antenna hanging inside a window.  That's where 2 of my antennas are located.   Even here, I try to keep them as inconspicuous as possible.

You cannot seem to win with other people sometimes!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@Iona-D wrote:

HOA?  That's another troublesome issue many of you have that I don't experience over here in my rather eclectic neighborhood.  I don't know if your HOA would complain about a indoor flat antenna hanging inside a window.  That's where 2 of my antennas are located.   Even here, I try to keep them as inconspicuous as possible.

You cannot seem to win with other people sometimes!

No, they can't complain about anything indoors. That's why my antenna hangs inside my garage on the ceiling. My garage has a 12' high ceiling, so plenty of room. But it's "looking" through the house for virtually every station, so there's certainly some attenuation. When we next move (likely after I retire), I will be specifically looking for no HOA. I'm an amateur radio operator, and right now I can't have any antenna for that. Looking forward to spending more time on the air after retirement. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
raosb
Level 7

There is a Roku Channel/app called locast or locast.org which in my area streams more local channels then I can pick up with my Mohu leaf. I just started with it.Its Donation only or free. Give it a go especially if you have signal problems.https://www.locast.org

we are facing the issues to get the updates and results of Dhankesari online without getting the interenet coverage. We want the number subscription offer if some body provide us. https://dhankesariresults.in will be provided the quick update of results and updates which we will be get in a single click.

0 Kudos