Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThisDeviceSux
Level 7

Why would anyone own this?

I've gone through 4 Rokus bc after a couple months something breaks. They will say your TV cannot power this device please use AC adapter. And that won't work. So u take it back get a new one and it works OK for a couple months (2weeks for 1 of them) and then they stop working. Or the remote will just quit. Now you can't watch any age restricted videos on YT? Please i thought this was America. What is this world coming to? ROKU=Worthless. Don't waste your time or money on this useless product. Nothing but trouble with them. And they will NOT assist uou

0 Kudos
9 Replies
pauld10
Level 7

Re: Why would anyone own this piece of **bleep**?

and now they no longer support their product

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

Huh. All my Roku devices work great. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
dpmulvey
Level 7

Have to agree w/ the OP.  I have a 6 year old unit that works flawlessly.  I have a brand new unit that’s going back to the store tomorrow.  I cannot get an activation code.   

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

@dpmulvey wrote:

Have to agree w/ the OP.  I have a 6 year old unit that works flawlessly.  I have a brand new unit that’s going back to the store tomorrow.  I cannot get an activation code.   

You are aware that Roku had some activation server issues (they posted about it), right? Stuff happens. Got nothing to do with the device. None were able to activate during the issue. Should be fixed now.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
Alphaturtle
Level 8

Re: Why would anyone own this?

Huh. Weird. We purchased a Roku tv from a pawn shop about 5 months ago, and it works better than any tv we've had before it. 🤔

demsd
Level 13

@ThisDeviceSux wrote:

I've gone through 4 Rokus bc after a couple months something breaks. They will say your TV cannot power this device please use AC adapter. And that won't work. So u take it back get a new one and it works OK for a couple months (2weeks for 1 of them) and then they stop working. Or the remote will just quit. Now you can't watch any age restricted videos on YT? Please i thought this was America. What is this world coming to? ROKU=Worthless. Don't waste your time or money on this useless product. Nothing but trouble with them. And they will NOT assist uou

I have been using a Roku device of some type for over 7 years. I have never had any issues with any of them. Apparently, you are so unlucky all you can manage to buy is defective devices.

Me? Thanks for asking! I love both of my Roku TVs and Ultra's.

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
demsd
Level 13

@Alphaturtle wrote:

Huh. Weird. We purchased a Roku tv from a pawn shop about 5 months ago, and it works better than any tv we've had before it. 🤔

Funny how that happens. Smiley Happy

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
NINJAFINGER5
Level 7

I have the same problem but then other devices started going wrong (mainly the sound bar) so I realised that it was a dodgy connection in the TV and now live with factory reseting the TV on a weekly basis. Since doing this the roku is fine.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Level 8

My first express (bought 4 years ago approx in UK) died in 18 months. Replacement devices (express, upgraded to streambar) have worked just fine except for a hiccup with BBC iplayer/BBC sound/BBC news which needed first a Roku upgrade and reset then deleting lots of apps from my express. IPlayer is a bit of a memory hog.

Upgraded to streambar which has life extended a cheap TV and has capability for wired Ethernet which helps with networking in the house (and also was better for iPlayer)

Have bought and played around with some secondhand roku, all worked fine. Roku has desupported oldest devices in UK incl. NowTV branded ones (no more iPlayer) though.

Powering via TV USB if it complains about power draw limit is probably not going to help life of Roku or TV.  Switch to plug in power asap.

0 Kudos