Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Why is there no opt-out privacy options for buyers of new Roku devices?

If you are uber-concerned about your privacy and watching habits, there is only one solution. Buy yourself an antenna for your TV and watch over-the-air broadcasts. Otherwise get over it, there is always tracking when the internet is involved.
Highlighted
Level 16

Agreed. People are paranoid. Probably dont understand what tracking is really.

Anyone who has anything serious to hide will automatically go to great lengths

to conceal it.

Otherwise if you dont really care about a stranger seeing you walk down the street

Dont sweat it!

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 9

thanks, but I did find a way to ' opt out ' just don't check any boxes on set up, click continue. By not checking boxes you have opted out Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Level 9

This is great simple advice, it's how I and I'm sure most people think of it, " I've got nothing to hide, what do I care" is typically the way I think of it.

Highlighted
Level 11

There seems to be only 2 ways Roku (or any other streaming devices which most important reason to exist is to gather info in the form of data on the slobs of the world) pays their own bills and profits.  1.  What you "volunteer" when you sign up for the service (assuming you did not fall for some scammer) and 2. Your credit card/Paypal or some other means of e-money exchange Roku or the other services accepts.

I have my well guarded private life and more public life as Iona.  I HeartloveHeart Iona.  She's everything that I wish to be, except she does not really exist legally or in real time   Except in my heartHeart of heartsHeart.

My "credit" card is in reality, preloadable.  That means most of the time it's empty (so completely worthless to the scammers & even the streaming world) and in someone else's name with their full permission-still all legal-to use as I see fit when I decide to put funds in it for specific online activities only that I choose to use. 

So it's on the streaming world to figure out who or what Iona is really.  Have fun.  No one in real time has ever met that part of me that way.  They cannot.  She exist only in ones and zeros.  She's already just pure data.  Roku and the rest are welcome to gather anything on her.  Be my guest.  In that way, she pays most of the online streaming bills.  I enjoy the benefits without giving up anything of my real self or my sensitive information.

I been doing this since the dawn of the Internet.  I really adapted to this brave new world & protect the real ME.  You can too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I think the U.S. should adopt (as a minimum), the European policy that privacy comes first. At the very least, no tracking, no gathering of information should be the default.

Of course, when it comes to being sleazy and trying to steal all one's personal information, nothing comes close to Google ('Do Be Evil' is their policy now) and Facebook ("Always been evil").

0 Kudos