Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Greedy Roku!


@lesmikesell wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:


For local media there's nothing better than an Android box running Kodi. That's the main reason I went to the Shield player on my two big TVs. If Roku had a) Gigabit Ethernet and b) lossless audio bitstreaming, I wouldn't need them. But for everything else we watch the Roku is just fine.

The only reason I won't buy another Roku TV is because you can't enter an OTA channel number via the remote. All you can do is scroll, and with 50+ OTA channels that's a pain.

 


I gave my son the only standalone roku I had so his wife could use the peloton app and replaced it with a raspberry pi that does Kodi and Plex pretty well.

As for TV channels, you should be able to ask alexa to change them if you have an echo device or the app on your phone.   Or you might be able to use the keypad on the roku phone app.


True, a Pi is also quite capable. But it's a bit more technical to set up, so I generally don't mention it. 

I'd never convince the wife to use a phone app. I'm not certain, but I don't think the Roku app will allow direct channel entry anyway. I have an Echo and she wants it turned off, doesn't like Google listening to everything being said in the room. And it's not in the room with a Roku TV anyway.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@demsd wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:


Roku obviously made deals acceptable to both sides - for now.  Not something we can count on anymore.


No. The premium channel providers agreed to terms. I am willing to bet the same terms HBO Max was offered. So, HBO, but no HBO Max, and that is Roku's fault. That's ignorant.


Here is another take on the issue: https://gizmodo.com/theres-a-very-good-reason-why-hbo-max-and-peacock-arent-1844873657

Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@lesmikesell wrote:


Did you miss the part about Comcast being the single biggest internet service provider?  And that their internet service comes with a streaming device free for the asking?


Did you miss the part that shows they won't be for long and pay TV eventually will not exist?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@lesmikesell wrote:


Here is another take on the issue: https://gizmodo.com/theres-a-very-good-reason-why-hbo-max-and-peacock-arent-1844873657


You're wasting your time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@demsd wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:


Did you miss the part about Comcast being the single biggest internet service provider?  And that their internet service comes with a streaming device free for the asking?


Did you miss the part that shows they won't be for long and pay TV eventually will not exist?


Do you really not understand the difference between pay TV and internet service?  Or that NBC/Comcast/Xfinity owns a lot of content and will always control how you watch it?  Whereas Roku makes a piece of hardware with limited capabilities that can be replaced by any number of other inexpensive devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@lesmikesell wrote:


Do you really not understand the difference between pay TV and internet service?


You clearly don't or you'd understand that when  pay TV ceases to exist, and it will, that X1 DVR you mentioned in an earlier post won't be sitting next to your TV.
 
Here's a novel idea: PlayOn. I've been using it for three years. Get yourself PlayOn Desktop or PlayOn Cloud and record all the Peacock you want. Then you'll have nothing to cry about anymore.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@demsd wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:


Do you really not understand the difference between pay TV and internet service?


You clearly don't or you'd understand that when  pay TV ceases to exist, and it will, that X1 DVR you mentioned in an earlier post won't be sitting next to your TV.

I thought I posted this link earlier but in case you weren't paying attention, if you have xfinity internet-only service (the largest provider in the country...) you get a 4k streaming box nearly identical to the X1 boxes loaded with streaming apps free for the asking (additional boxes are available for $5/month).  No need to involve your computer.

https://www.cabletv.com/blog/xfinity-flex

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-flex-overview

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Greedy Roku!


@lesmikesell wrote:

No, they took my money when they sold me the device under the pretense that it would be under my control after the purchase.   They can abandon it like google did with their google-tv (pre-android) devices but they can't decide now that I have to pay again to use the hardware.

But, the real point here is that they aren't making any more money showing ads when it is turned off because we've been forced to buy something else to see what we want.


What you want to watch IS in your control, ROKU never said that they would have everything. So yes, you have control of what YOU wanna watch that they provide. But ROKU is a business, and businesses fail if they don't make money, so if a company refuses to abide by the rules ROKU has, then ROKU has the right to deny their service. Just like you have the right to sign off of your ROKU and move on.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Greedy Roku!


@demsd wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:


Here is another take on the issue: https://gizmodo.com/theres-a-very-good-reason-why-hbo-max-and-peacock-arent-1844873657


You're wasting your time.


I didn’t know that that is wasting his/her time. Smiley LOL

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!

@Eamarille wrote:


What you want to watch IS in your control, ROKU never said that they would have everything. So yes, you have control of what YOU wanna watch that they provide. But ROKU is a business, and businesses fail if they don't make money, so if a company refuses to abide by the rules ROKU has, then ROKU has the right to deny their service. Just like you have the right to sign off of your ROKU and move on.

That is what I have been saying here all along.  It is only a matter of time when most users here will get tired of all this mess and quietly-or not-simply disappear and go elsewhere.  I am now wondering how long will that be if things continue the way they are..  How long Roku will finished their user to service transformation becoming fully a more Divx type of business model-where they become more indirectly involved with the end user?