Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!

@demsd wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

And maybe that's why we can't see it on rokus...   The people in control of what plays on roku would prefer that you watch something that shows their ads.   I think most viewers will use another device instead, perhaps switching permanently, but it is their game to play.

Explain Epix, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, HBO, Shudder and the other ad free premium channels? You can get HBO, but not HBO Max? Explain that, slick.

Roku obviously made deals acceptable to both sides - for now.  Not something we can count on anymore.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@lesmikesell wrote:

No, they took my money when they sold me the device under the pretense that it would be under my control after the purchase.   They can abandon it like google did with their google-tv (pre-android) devices but they can't decide now that I have to pay again to use the hardware.

But, the real point here is that they aren't making any more money showing ads when it is turned off because we've been forced to buy something else to see what we want.

No. You GAVE them your money and never was anyone told they controlled what would be on the platform.

The nearly 40 million that use the device every month are not going to stop using it because a handful of kooks stop using it. Stop making idle threats and toss out your Roku devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@demsd wrote:

The nearly 40 million that use the device every month are not going to stop using it because a handful of kooks stop using it. Stop making idle threats and toss out your Roku devices.

Not a threat.  My roku TV defaults to an HDMI input and never shows a roku ad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@lesmikesell wrote:

@demsd wrote:

Roku doesn't have Peackock TV because NBCUniversal wants all of the cake.

Note that everyone with a Comcast/Xfinity internet connection (the biggest single provider) will have access to a streaming device that includes Peacock whether roku wants to play or not.     If you have cable service their X1 set top boxes have it as an app, and if you are internet-only you get a similar 'flex' streaming box.

Traditional pay TV is a dying medium. The number of pay TV households peaked in 2010 at 105 million. It is now down to approximately 82.9 million -- a loss of 22.1 million households in a 10 year period. A 2019 study by eMarketer forecasts that number to dip to 72.7 million by 2023 -- a loss of an additional 10.2 million households in less than 3 years from now.

According to Variety’s tally of the most-watched networks in 2019, Nick at Nite was down 24% among total viewers; AMC, down 22%; FX, down 21%; USA, down 19%; TBS, down 16%; and TNT, down 14%.

Anyone thinking pay TV providers like Comcast are going to save the day is a clown.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@lesmikesell wrote:

Roku obviously made deals acceptable to both sides - for now.  Not something we can count on anymore.

No. The premium channel providers agreed to terms. I am willing to bet the same terms HBO Max was offered. So, HBO, but no HBO Max, and that is Roku's fault. That's ignorant.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@lesmikesell wrote:

Good. Now you have nothing to come here to cry about.

Bye Bye.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@demsd wrote:

Anyone thinking pay TV providers like Comcast are going to save the day is a clown.

Did you miss the part about Comcast being the single biggest internet service provider?  And that their internet service comes with a streaming device free for the asking?   https://www.cabletv.com/blog/xfinity-flex  While the review here notes that you can't choose apps to download, it comes with a lot of them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@demsd wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

Good. Now you have nothing to come here to cry about.

Bye Bye.

Mostly I'm here to see if there is a decent player for local media yet that is better than Plex.  On less locked-down devices I'd pick Kodi or VLC, but...     Maybe someone will get around to fixing jellyfin to work with whatever roku broke in their API since the fork from emby.  Someday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@lesmikesell wrote:

Mostly I'm here to see if there is a decent player for local media yet that is better than Plex.  On less locked-down devices I'd pick Kodi or VLC, but...     Maybe someone will get around to fixing jellyfin to work with whatever roku broke in their API since the fork from emby.  Someday.

For local media there's nothing better than an Android box running Kodi. That's the main reason I went to the Shield player on my two big TVs. If Roku had a) Gigabit Ethernet and b) lossless audio bitstreaming, I wouldn't need them. But for everything else we watch the Roku is just fine.

The only reason I won't buy another Roku TV is because you can't enter an OTA channel number via the remote. All you can do is scroll, and with 50+ OTA channels that's a pain.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@atc98092 wrote:

For local media there's nothing better than an Android box running Kodi. That's the main reason I went to the Shield player on my two big TVs. If Roku had a) Gigabit Ethernet and b) lossless audio bitstreaming, I wouldn't need them. But for everything else we watch the Roku is just fine.

The only reason I won't buy another Roku TV is because you can't enter an OTA channel number via the remote. All you can do is scroll, and with 50+ OTA channels that's a pain.

I gave my son the only standalone roku I had so his wife could use the peloton app and replaced it with a raspberry pi that does Kodi and Plex pretty well.

As for TV channels, you should be able to ask alexa to change them if you have an echo device or the app on your phone.   Or you might be able to use the keypad on the roku phone app.

0 Kudos