Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Hey Roku

@whereshbomax wrote:

I SPECIFICALLY purchased a Roku because I assumed it would remain neutral ... blah, blah, blah...

I love how people keep mentioning this pipe dream called "neutral."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Roku neutral stance

@Nnyan wrote:

Amazing what people will get their panties all in a bunch about.   You can’t get a new bundled service?  Boohoohoo!  Poor entitled snowflake!  I had to laugh at the guy who has so much control over 8 people in his circle that they will leave Roku!  Cult much? Since that date is long gone guess we don’t have to worry about that anymore!  

Funny.

Isn't "Roku Cults" a new original series on the Roku Channel?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!

@atc98092 wrote:

Oh, I'm much more inclined to support Roku/Amazon in this fight. However, for myself I really don't care about HBO or Peacock. I have had any HBO subscription in over 20 years, and I haven't seen any content that would interest me enough to subscribe. And if by some miracle they did have something I want, I have Nvidia Shield players as well.

Frankly, with Prime Video (which we subscribe to for the free fast shipping), YouTube, and my personal media server, I watch very little else, and would have trouble finding time to watch something new anyway. CBS All Access pulled me in with Picard and Star Trek Discovery (I'm old enough to have watched the original series as a teenager), but I find myself watching very little else on it while waiting for the next seasons. 

Yes, sir! There is absolutely no reason for anyone to get bent out of shape. If NBCUniversal & HBO are willing to forgo the revenue they'd get from putting their channels on the two platforms that share 70% of the streaming market, so be it. They clearly are not interested in Roku & Amazon Fire users. I don't feel bad about it. I have Netflix, CBS All Access & Starz, and also use Plex, which by the way just added a "live" TV guide to the app [and I have been getting good mileage out of the "The Film Detective" channel]. That along with the Roku Channel, Tubi and other free ad supported content provide more than enough to watch, when I watch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@demsd wrote:

Yes, sir! There is absolutely no reason for anyone to get bent out of shape. If NBCUniversal & HBO are willing to forgo the revenue they'd get from putting their channels on the two platforms that share 70% of the streaming market, so be it. They clearly are not interested in Roku & Amazon Fire users.

The revenue they get is from inserting their own ads for the content they provide.  They aren't particularly interested in having someone else insert ads while not providing anything.  This is on a device the user paid for and using internet bandwidth he also pays for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@lesmikesell wrote:

@demsd wrote:

Yes, sir! There is absolutely no reason for anyone to get bent out of shape. If NBCUniversal & HBO are willing to forgo the revenue they'd get from putting their channels on the two platforms that share 70% of the streaming market, so be it. They clearly are not interested in Roku & Amazon Fire users.

The revenue they get is from inserting their own ads for the content they provide.  They aren't particularly interested in having someone else insert ads while not providing anything.  This is on a device the user paid for and using internet bandwidth he also pays for.

I've never heard any discussion about Roku placing ads within the content of another provider. That is sheer speculation, and in my opinion very unlikely. Roku places ads on their home screen, the cityscape screensaver, and within content they provide within The Roku Channel. They don't insert ads in YouTube, Vudu, or any of the ad-supported channels I am aware of. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

@demsd 

With all the posts youve made on this stupid subject have you considered Medicine?

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@atc98092 wrote:

I've never heard any discussion about Roku placing ads within the content of another provider. That is sheer speculation, and in my opinion very unlikely. Roku places ads on their home screen, the cityscape screensaver, and within content they provide within The Roku Channel. They don't insert ads in YouTube, Vudu, or any of the ad-supported channels I am aware of. 

Not sure how much published info you can believe about private negotiations, but:

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/deeper-dive-android-promos-roku-apps-and-other-questions-facing-pe... says the disagreement is about inserting ads.  And I wouldn't expect that to fly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@boogernose wrote:

@demsd 

With all the posts youve made on this stupid subject have you considered Medicine?

With all the posts you made on any subject, have you consider offering dressing with your word salads? A nice Caesar or ranch perhaps?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@lesmikesell wrote:

Not sure how much published info you can believe about private negotiations, but:

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/deeper-dive-android-promos-roku-apps-and-other-questions-facing-pe... says the disagreement is about inserting ads.  And I wouldn't expect that to fly.

You posted a link to an obscure website that I have no doubt is not an authority on anything, let alone any "private negotiations."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@demsd wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

You posted a link to an obscure website that I have no doubt is not an authority on anything, let alone any "private negotiations."

I've seen the same from other places, but probably from the same source that may or may not be correct.  But it doesn't really matter whether they want to insert their own ads or get a big cut of the revenue from the content provider's own ads.   Whatever they are asking in return for not providing anything is clearly too much.

0 Kudos