Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Why did Roku change their stance on being Neutral?

@notneutral8 wrote:

You realize Roku is creating original content right?

What content is that again?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@notneutral8 wrote:

Apple TV allows for more apps than Roku.  Keep on defending the inferior product my man!

Balderdash!

Apple, because it has to share 30% of the streaming market with Android TV and other lesser known and not as popular devices, is kissing NBCUniversal rump.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@notneutral8 wrote:

Or maybe the reason he posts more is because he sees the flaws of the product whereas you do not?  Roku literally cannot call themselves neutral anymore when there are two other products by bigger companies that allow for more content.  Yall can't even accept facts....

What flaws of the product specifically? Let's keep in mind the product is the device, not the platform, which is something you get to access for free. You did not pay for the right to expect any channel be on the platform.

Like I said in another thread. Roku, like Facebook and Twitter, is a platform. I can guarantee Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey would not allow Peacock TV or HBO dictate its terms. You can't go into Walmart and tell the cashier how much you are going to pay for a pair it's low quality Chinese sneakers. So, it's comical that Peacock TV & HBO think it can get what it wants with a wave of it's hand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!

@imcdona wrote:

I decided to stop by and voice opposition to the way Roku is behaving. Roku is no longer the beloved neutral company I fell in love with. No, they got greedy.

I used to laugh at the FireTV users complaining that they couldn't watch YouTube. I'd say things like "You need to switch a neutral platform like Roku". Not anymore.

The jokes on us all now. Want Peacock? Sorry, you couldn't get it on Roku even if you wanted to! Nobody is getting on Roku anymore unless they plan on "profit sharing". The though that Roku would stay neutral in face of all that money is laughable. Shame on me for being so naive.

I don't remember anything about Roku promising access to any channels when I purchased my Express and Roku TV. Y'all got it in your head that Roku owes you something. Fact is, you got what you paid for. Access to the platform is included at no charge. You're not entitled to anything more, nor are you forced to use their devices. That's what the free market is all about. Use it. Don't use it. Those are your choices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@atc98092 wrote:

I honestly don't know if the greedy part of the equation is Roku or AT&T/NBC for the HBO and Peacock issues.

The answer to that question is simple. Ask yourself why it is Epix, Starz, Showtime, Tubi, ViacomCBS [PlutoTV], Hulu, Crackle and hundreds of others are on Roku, while Peacock TV & HBO are not. It's not like Peacock TV & HBO are the only providers that are expected to accept Roku's terms, something NBCUniversal [Peacock TV] & WarnerMedia Studios & Networks [HBO] know all to well because it is they who set terms with it's advertisers and production companies it works with, etc. In no scenario will either allow advertisers or production companies to set the terms. Why should Roku? It's their platform. No rockets or science is necessary to understand any of it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Roku neutral stance

@FredCDobbs wrote:

Because I want to tell you something before my household, and that of my mother, and that of my cousin David, and that of my friend Bob all stop purchasing or using your products forever and switch to ChromeCast boxes.  So listen up.

We are your [soon to be Former] Customers.

Don't make idle threats, Fred. Stop using the devices you already paid for and move along. It's not worth losing hair stressing over stuff you can't control. Do it for your mama. She no doubt does not want to see here son have a conniption.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@demsd wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

I honestly don't know if the greedy part of the equation is Roku or AT&T/NBC for the HBO and Peacock issues.

The answer to that question is simple. Ask yourself why it is Epix, Starz, Showtime, Tubi, ViacomCBS [PlutoTV], Hulu, Crackle and hundreds of others are on Roku, while Peacock TV & HBO are not. It's not like Peacock TV & HBO are the only providers that are expected to accept Roku's terms, something NBCUniversal [Peacock TV] & WarnerMedia Studios & Networks [HBO] know all to well because it is they who set terms with it's advertisers and production companies it works with, etc. In no scenario will either allow advertisers or production companies to set the terms. Why should Roku? It's their platform. No rockets or science is necessary to understand any of it.

Oh, I'm much more inclined to support Roku/Amazon in this fight. However, for myself I really don't care about HBO or Peacock. I have had any HBO subscription in over 20 years, and I haven't seen any content that would interest me enough to subscribe. And if by some miracle they did have something I want, I have Nvidia Shield players as well.

Frankly, with Prime Video (which we subscribe to for the free fast shipping), YouTube, and my personal media server, I watch very little else, and would have trouble finding time to watch something new anyway. CBS All Access pulled me in with Picard and Star Trek Discovery (I'm old enough to have watched the original series as a teenager), but I find myself watching very little else on it while waiting for the next seasons. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 12

@Eamarille wrote:

My problem with this whole thing is, why are people against a business doing what it feels is best for them? It's roku's business, let them run it as they see fit. If you don't like the end result, then stop threatening and move on to a different ecosystem. But remember, they are businesses as well and might have a couple of situations that you won't agree with, you gonna change ecosystem again when that happens?

It's "Gimmie! Gimmie! Gimmie!" culture.  "I want, therefore I shall have" American privilege. The people here complaining, who I now call the Roku Community Criers, are part of that 49% of Americans who believe they are entitled to every channel made for any streaming platform. I'm certain Mitt Romney talked about them right about the time he mentioned his binders full of women. They act like children, stomping their feet and pounding their fists because the no good, very bad Roku isn't giving them what they want. Suck it up and act like an adult, America. Smiley Surprised

I'm not missing any Peacock TV. If it wants my eyes on it's content, it will agree to the terms that other providers have agreed to. NBCUniversal isn't special. It does not deserve special treatment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@Iona-D wrote:

Roku (and any other business) do have the right to run their business as they see fit to.  

The underlying problem is they unexpectively changed course mid stream right in the middle of a challenging, harsh time.  When many people lost their jobs.  Meaning they just cannot rush out & buy even a inexpensive Chromecast or Apple device just to get 2 IMPORTANT apps (Peacock & HBO Max).  Not the usual minor cotton candy ones.  Even if some of them are free.

I just bought a couple of smartphones to load up with the important apps only.  They fit with room to spare.  If Roku offered just Peacock, I would not have to buy more streaming devices.  They have lots of money to throw away.  I do not.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@captivater wrote:

Based on the several articles that have come out, Roku Channel appears to be the sticking point.

I don't know what articles you read, but they could not have been about streaming, let alone Roku, HBO or Peacock TV.

0 Kudos