Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Hey Roku

goody gum drops for you.

Apple TV doesnt carry everything either.

Roku offers many more channels.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 7

Whatever will I do without all those channels I've never heard of or ever watched??

Highlighted
Level 17

on Roku or Apple theres plenty of content once you figure it out.

More than enough.

Peacock and HBO MAX might be nicer but so what? Who cares? Big deal? get Real?

For Gods sake if you cant find something and are savvy with a Roku you need help.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted

Re: Why did Roku change their stance on being Neutral?

So, @Venomspawn, what has Peacock have to do with all that political spew you just expressed. 

Truth be told, Roku is a business, and as such, they are going to try to get the best deal they can to provide a platform for others to use their platform, period.  

Peacock, for example, is just another app like Acorn or Britton.  The problem, it seems to me,is people w Smiley Surprised see conspiracies in everything.

I say, p e tuition Roku to contract with Peacock, if you want it for your library.  Otherwise, just let the companies work it out.  The programming is going to be there when e n the dust settles.  You won't miss a thing.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku neutral stance

Amazing what people will get their panties all in a bunch about.   You can’t get a new bundled service?  Boohoohoo!  Poor entitled snowflake!  I had to laugh at the guy who has so much control over 8 people in his circle that they will leave Roku!  Cult much? Since that date is long gone guess we don’t have to worry about that anymore!  

The expectation that a SINGLE product or service will meet all of YOUR needs F O R E V E R is so ridiculously insane I think people need to get back to taking their meds.  

I’m not holding Roku blameless but then I never put them on a pedestal so I expected them to do what every smart business does, change and adapt, repeat. Otherwise you are another Blockbuster.  Sure that may mean that sometime in the future I (and all my gadzillions of hapless lemmings I am in complete control of... really I am.) will need to move over to another product.  

Then again I can always just switch source and use my Apple TV,  Nvidia Shield or Amazon TV, etc. and watch ohh I don’t know maybe a service that’s not currently on Roku???  Wow that was so much easier then sending a deranged mental domination command to my mindless hordes!?!?  Ohh you are so lucky indeed Roku!  You live yet another day!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@Venomspawn wrote:

When I first got Roku they were touting that they are neutral platform.  I was able to get a bunch of different Channels. ... Now out of nowhere they are not allowing channels on their devices.  HBO Max and Peacock are two that I would have on release but Roku is not allowing them.

Except, that's not what is happening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@Psilobite wrote:

I love the walls of text you Roku apologists type. It's both enraging and entertaining at the same time. That can't be easy to come up with content like that. Smiley LOL

No one is holding a gun to your head to either be here in the community, or use a Roku. You're free to leave at any time, or use one of the devices that share 30% of the streaming market.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@BarneyF wrote:

Paid by the word, huh?

Translation: "I don't agree with you, therefore you must be paid to be here."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Roku makes their money on ads.   If you aren't happy with them, leave your roku TVs set to default to the HDMI input for the other streaming device you had to buy to get the content you want.

Highlighted
Level 12

@shelleyp wrote:

Pushing back, on all of this.

Roku now pushes content from its Roku channel whenever you search for content. Roku is demanding not just a fee, but access to subscriber data by demanding that companies allow them to host the channel. Roku is also demanding the ability to insert their own ads from their own network.

And yes, there's even been rumors that Roku may be exploring creating its own content, which seems to be the only thing you're using as a way of saying "they're neutral".

Wanting to grab a piece of the user data or the ad space is not the behavior of a neutral platform or party. And because of this, we don't have HBO Max, and we don't have Peacock. And, most likely, we'll start running into problems with other services in the future. CBS is redesigning it's All Access, and I expect this service will be the next one running into the user data/ad space demands.

Whether you're sympathetic to Roku or not, it's important to realize that this is a contention between the services over specific data or ad space. That's not neutral. And it does impact on we, the customers of both.

Don't be disingenuous. Roku pushes content from its Roku channel, as well as other channels whenever you search for content.

Roku isn't demanding anything. Epix, Starz, Showtime, ViacaomCBS, Tubi, Hulu and hundreds of other channels aren't refusing to agree with Roku's terms which includes an ad revenue share. I personally, have not seen anything about Roku demanding the ability to insert their own ads from their own network.

NBCUniversal is used to getting what it wants, from it's advertisers, production companies, etc. It's typically the one that sets the terms, expecting everyone to except them. They are in no position to set the terms and it, like you, is having a tantrum.

0 Kudos