Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
optikhog
Level 13

Re: Greedy Roku!

Not to mention the other player in the last 6 weeks' worth of drama (AT&T's HBO Max) is now teasing an ad-supported version, meaning it likely won't be long now before they roll their goods out to Roku/Amazon/etc. and share in the ad revenue for even larger profits.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/hbo-max-advertising-commercials-classic-movies-1234762076/

0 Kudos
DisastifiedAL
Level 10

All Roku has done in it's greed is ensure my next 4k TV won't be a Roku TV but Android based or a TV with a manufacturer based system. If Roku, Amazon, Apple want to duke it out, Feel free,

But I will never give in to the greed, and apparent greed as Roku has shown will intentionally cause me to push back and go in other direction away from it. Roku has VERY slim leverage being on TV's and if they keep going, Will end up with none and users won't return after the deception.

They are about to lose the biggest live streaming service because of greed, and don't think for a hot second that Google TV, Fire Stick or other platform won't be happy for all those viewers.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@DisastifiedAL wrote:

They are about to lose the biggest live streaming service because of greed, and don't think for a hot second that Google TV, Fire Stick or other platform won't be happy for all those viewers.

If you are referring to YouTube TV, they are not the biggest streaming service. For providers offering OTA TV and other "cable" channels, they're number 2, and compared to Netflix or Amazon Prime, they're far down the ladder. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@DisastifiedAL wrote:

All Roku has done in it's greed is ensure my next 4k TV won't be a Roku TV but Android based or a TV with a manufacturer based system. If Roku, Amazon, Apple want to duke it out, Feel free,

But I will never give in to the greed, and apparent greed as Roku has shown will intentionally cause me to push back and go in other direction away from it. Roku has VERY slim leverage being on TV's and if they keep going, Will end up with none and users won't return after the deception.

Good point - those Roku streamer alternatives arent provided by "super greedy" mega-billion corporate entities like Google and Amazon and Nvidia..oh..wait..never mind

At least you arent letting the obviously agendized double-standard get in your way...

0 Kudos
notneutral8
Level 8

@StreamerUser  You realize those companies don’t have their own app for “free” content with a million ads like Roku right? They didn’t block HBO Max for almost a year dip**bleep**e.  Roku overplayed their hand and they’re going under, sorry to break it to you fanboy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@notneutral8 wrote:

@StreamerUser  You realize those companies don’t have their own app for “free” content with a million ads like Roku right? They didn’t block HBO Max for almost a year dip**bleep**e.  Roku overplayed their hand and they’re going under, sorry to break it to you fanboy Smiley Happy

Ever heard of Google, and its app/service YouTube?  or Amazon, and its app/service IMDb TV?

I think the only "fanboi" here is the one pretending hes never heard of them and is unaware of their free ad-supported streaming services & content...

(P.S. How long did Amazon's HBO Max dispute last again?  Hint: "almost half a year" - and one month less than Roku's)

0 Kudos
ChristmasElf
Level 7

I'm not understanding what some of you are talking about with regard to your inability to get Peacock or HBO Max. I can add those apps if I want, although I choose not to. I'm using a Streaming Stick+ and have had no issues adding any app.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@ChristmasElf wrote:

I'm not understanding what some of you are talking about with regard to your inability to get Peacock or HBO Max. I can add those apps if I want, although I choose not to. I'm using a Streaming Stick+ and have had no issues adding any app.

This is an old thread from last year during the Roku & WarnerMedia HBO Max dispute that someone chose to resurrect in attempt to link it to the current Roku & Google YouTube TV dispute.