Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@demsd wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

Nobody 'loves' cheap hardware. 


That's a bit ignorant to suggest, isn't it?

 

No, it is a fact that would be ignorant to ignore. It's a commodity business. There are many brands of cheap hardware, many better than roku and many aligned with companies that create content and/or own unique content. Roku just has cheap hardware that doesn't do anything unique (well, the phone app with private listening is nice, but look at all the complaints and how many people have trouble with it - it doesn't really justify breaking generic bluetooth connections).   Likewise using miracast as the only mirroring protocol might be unique, but it is a worse choice than the others.

 


@lesmikesell wrote:

Roku got their numbers by establishing a reputation for being vendor neutral, so don't think that means anything now that they've changed.

Nobody buys a Roku because of anything to do with vendor neutrality. They bought them because they are not expensive and are easy to setup and use. The only reason people like you mention vendor neutrality is because you aren't getting what you want.

Wrong again. It was why I bought mine. I want access to content, and at the time Roku was in the business of displaying content while some of the other vendors were blocking each other.  Times have changed, and so have future buying decisions.

Again, if you are so unhappy, why are you still here complaining?


I answered this last time but I'll repeat in case you learn to read. I'm here hoping that someone will mention a better app for displaying local content, equivalent to kodi.  Or at least an update to jellyfin that does more than just video.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@demsd wrote:

@Iona-D wrote:

The far better, superior Roku Ultra is now shuttered to the back bedroom.  Until Roku offers what I want.


Aye, there's the rub! You, like the other's here complaining, love, love, love you some Roku. Y'all aren't going anywhere.

^^^^^^

IWhere exactly am I suppose to be?  Catching Covid 19?  I never said I loved Roku or the Ultra.  The Ultra was moved to be back bedroom mainly because I wanted to connect the new more-popular-over-here newly purchased DVD player to the Ultra's former HMDI port on the primary television without adding another HMDI Switch.  If Roku allowed me all the paid for by myself subscription apps I want displayed (not just some), the DVD player would have been in the back bedroom instead.  Where I wanted it to be originally.

I mean this as a simple wake up call for Roku,  I will state it in more simple mathematical terms:  Fleeing Roku Users/Former Owners of hardware=no-or far fewer-eyeballs Left to watch Roku inserted Ads.  Probable End Result: lack of potential stable revenue ($$$$), future stable growth and lower stock prices.  Especially critical going into a very severe recession, Great Depression 2, or even simple indifference from the flaky masses.

Perhaps Roku will sell out it's own company and disappear (absorbed/merged) entirely along with it's own former fan base.  Then nothing discussed here matters in these forums anywaty.  Just a way to pass Cooronavirus mandiated lockdowns!


 

Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@lesmikesell wrote:

No, it is a fact that would be ignorant to ignore. It's a commodity business. There are many brands of cheap hardware, many better than roku and many aligned with companies that create content and/or own unique content. Roku just has cheap hardware that doesn't do anything unique (well, the phone app with private listening is nice, but look at all the complaints and how many people have trouble with it - it doesn't really justify breaking generic bluetooth connections).   Likewise using miracast as the only mirroring protocol might be unique, but it is a worse choice than the others.


The problem is, you were referencing investors. According to the articles I read, they are more interested in the value of the data, not the sale of the devices.

 


@lesmikesell wrote:

Wrong again. It was why I bought mine. I want access to content, and at the time Roku was in the business of displaying content while some of the other vendors were blocking each other.  Times have changed, and so have future buying decisions.


You're an outlier. Why you claim you bought yours in no way suggests tens of millions of others bought one for the same reason.

 


@lesmikesell wrote:

I answered this last time but I'll repeat in case you learn to read. I'm here hoping that someone will mention a better app for displaying local content, equivalent to kodi.  Or at least an update to jellyfin that does more than just video.


You could use DuckDuckGo or Google for that. I did a quick search and found:

1. Stremio

2. Cinema HD

3. Cyberflix TV

4. Plex

5. Emby

6. Media Portal

 

Problem solved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@Iona-D wrote:
I mean this as a simple wake up call for Roku,  I will state it in more simple mathematical terms:  Fleeing Roku Users/Former Owners of hardware=no-or far fewer-eyeballs Left to watch Roku inserted Ads.  Probable End Result: lack of potential stable revenue ($$$$), future stable growth and lower stock prices.  Especially critical going into a very severe recession, Great Depression 2, or even simple indifference from the flaky masses.

Perhaps Roku will sell out it's own company and disappear (absorbed/merged) entirely along with it's own former fan base.  Then nothing discussed here matters in these forums anywaty.  Just a way to pass Cooronavirus mandiated lockdowns!

I think you and the others are finding it a big wake up call. Y'all have been complaining for months, and it has got you no where. There is no evidence that the HBO Max/Peacock TV issue has slowed sales, stymied growth or effected stock prices. There is a lot of hoping, wishing and pipe dreaming, but the majority of Roku users and the financial world hasn't got their unders in a bunch the way some of you do.

This is some interesting reading in reference to the failed HBO Max launch.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/06/11/hbo-max-quiet-launch-att-roku-amazon.aspx

One of my favorite quotes from the article:

"HBO Max representatives continue to insist publicly that HBO Max is committed to getting on as many platforms as possible. But it's striking to see the service go live without two major platforms."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Greedy Roku!


@demsd wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

I answered this last time but I'll repeat in case you learn to read. I'm here hoping that someone will mention a better app for displaying local content, equivalent to kodi.  Or at least an update to jellyfin that does more than just video.


You could use DuckDuckGo or Google for that. I did a quick search and found:

1. Stremio

2. Cinema HD

3. Cyberflix TV

4. Plex

5. Emby

6. Media Portal

 

Problem solved.


I've used Plex and Emby, and I wouldn't consider either of them as an equal to Kodi. Can't speak to the other four. I'm not saying they're no good, in fact just the opposite. Both Plex and Emby offer a great user interface with a respectable app for many different devices, including Roku. I use Kodi on my Shield players because nothing else equals it for local playback using my choice of DLNA server. VLC is another great media player, but the developers have stated they will never create a channel for Roku because the programming languages differ far too much to do a simple port. They'd have to re-write the entire app, and it's not worth the effort for them.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@demsd wrote:


You could use DuckDuckGo or Google for that. I did a quick search and found:

1. Stremio

2. Cinema HD

3. Cyberflix TV

4. Plex

5. Emby

6. Media Portal

 

Problem solved.


None of those are a match for Kodi or vlc.  Plex is usable for what I need, but not perfect. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!


@demsd wrote:
I think you and the others are finding it a big wake up call. Y'all have been complaining for months, and it has got you no where. There is no evidence that the HBO Max/Peacock TV issue has slowed sales, stymied growth or effected stock prices.

 

Roku seems to have decided their future depends on ad sales,   How many devices are out there doesn't matter if they are turned off and some other vendor's gadget is the one playing.   As they always are when anyone is watching Peacock or HBO Max.

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Greedy Roku!

Well demsd,  I am not in such a upset state as you believe I am.  Right this minute I am streaming on my older Gen 2  Chromecast.  It is doing it's job as it has all 15 apps I want.  My Roku needs dusting due to lack of use.  If you excuse me, I have to dust it off yet again.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Why did Roku change their stance on being Neutral?

An other option, just trying to think out of the box. I won’t say what I wanted because although it most definitely would be funny, would also possibly be prohibitive. You could actually try to see if you can download whatever App you are looking for, to your phone, tablet or computer and depending on the TV and how old it is, Chromecast/Mirror whatever term your device uses. So there is that. I truly love the return support person’s responses. You should write a book, maybe my book.

0 Kudos