Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Greedy Roku!

I get Roku's for two reasons.

1. I already have Internet.

2. I dont want to spend tons of Money on **bleep**.

HBO is expensive and I wouldnt subscribe to it or Peacock.

It defeats the purpose.

There is plenty of stuff to watch on Roku.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 12

I got a roku because at the time it seemed like the least likely of all streaming devices to dictate what I could or couldn't see whenever the vendor felt like it.  But that time is over.  Now they are just another cheap piece of hardware like the rest.

By the way, Peacock is a 'freemium' type service.  You can watch free with commercials.  https://screenrant.com/peacock-free-premium-plus-options-differences-explained/  And for people whose internet provider is already xfinity, you get the premium (middle) level of service included, along with the streaming device (flex) that includes the app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Roku's hardware is nothing more than a simple Loss Leader now.  They are shifting their corporate interests to other money making ways presently and in the future. Much like Divx (remember them?) has done in the past.  What I see here in these forums are denial from most of the participators.  They have difficulty in accepting the Time Of The User Being King/Queen is long over.

I discussed this and other concepts further in my other posts. It seems like everything else in life, you have the first early birds exiting and flying away with little trouble, then the general run-of-the-mill herd population tramples down everyone and everything in their way to get to the next best thing.

Technology and business practices might change, but people sure do not.

Highlighted
Level 12

@lesmikesell wrote:

I thought I posted this link earlier but in case you weren't paying attention, if you have xfinity internet-only service (the largest provider in the country...) you get a 4k streaming box nearly identical to the X1 boxes loaded with streaming apps free for the asking (additional boxes are available for $5/month).  No need to involve your computer.

https://www.cabletv.com/blog/xfinity-flex

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-flex-overview

Yet here you are, crying like little girl.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@Michelle3 wrote:

I didn’t know that that is wasting his/her time. Smiley LOL

~Jordan

Now you do.

Highlighted
Level 12

@Iona-D wrote:

That is what I have been saying here all along.  It is only a matter of time when most users here will get tired of all this mess and quietly-or not-simply disappear and go elsewhere.  I am now wondering how long will that be if things continue the way they are..  How long Roku will finished their user to service transformation becoming fully a more Divx type of business model-where they become more indirectly involved with the end user?

You are pipe dreaming, Iona. 40 million people are not complaining about Peacock TV or HBO max.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Perhaps.  I don't drop down in front of the boob tube anymore to passively get drivel shoveled in front of me.  I pride myself in quitting work well ahead of the pack to improve my own life's quality of life.

So too is Streaming.  It's more than just changing channels.  You choose then pay for quality apps.  Or streaming platforms.   If you don't like it......actively move on to the next best thing for YOU.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that went posting in the Community, that you adhere to the Community guidelines in place.

Be kind, courteous, and positive when posting. The Community exists to help users. Posting abusive, obscene, harassing, hostile, defamatory, offensive, tortious, argumentative, inappropriate or otherwise objectionable content may result in loss of access to the Community. Roku reserves the right to remove any content at its discretion. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 12

@Iona-D wrote:

Perhaps.  I don't drop down in front of the boob tube anymore to passively get drivel shoveled in front of me.  I pride myself in quitting work well ahead of the pack to improve my own life's quality of life.

So too is Streaming.  It's more than just changing channels.  You choose then pay for quality apps.  Or streaming platforms.   If you don't like it......actively move on to the next best thing for YOU.

You get to pay for whatever drivel is offered by the platform. If the drivel you want it isn't available, then you and the other Roku Community Criers should move on to the next "best" thing. The problem is, you all know Roku is the next best thing. Otherwise you would have moved on. Instead, you cry.

You can't get everything you want, Iona. You are not entitled to it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@demsd wrote:

@Iona-D wrote:

You get to pay for whatever drivel is offered by the platform. If the drivel you want it isn't available, then you and the other Roku Community Criers should move on to the next "best" thing. The problem is, you all know Roku is the next best thing. Otherwise you would have moved on. Instead, you cry.

You can't get everything you want, Iona. You are not entitled to it.

I think you're confusing Iona-D with someone else. Iona-D isn't what you are painting. If you read the statement more closely, I believe you'll see that. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos