Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Why did Roku change their stance on being Neutral?

@shelleyp wrote:

And yes, there's even been rumors that Roku may be exploring creating its own content, which seems to be the only thing you're using as a way of saying "they're neutral".

Well, you can't really blame them. That's where so much money appears to be made. But so far it's only talk. As of now, while they do offer The Roku Channel, they don't produce any of the content available there. It takes a lot of cash to create original content, so they may never end up doing it. For myself, I've seen very little "original content" from any of the streaming providers that I care much about.

And I have to agree that Roku has never been completely neutral in what they allow on their platform. Lawsuits in other countries has forced them to monitor the channels more closely. 

Unfortunately, there simply is no one single media player that "does it all". My Nvidia Shield comes the closest, but it's lacking full HDR support for YouTube (they recently updated to support 4K/30, but 4k/60 won't play), and there's a lot of providers on Roku that simply aren't available on any other platform. But since it's an Android device, there's lots that can be done with it.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

You realize Roku is creating original content right?  Not to mention they push their own roku channel so hard now you literally CANNOT call them neutral.  Keep thinking anyone who sees through their bull**bleep** only love AT&T for some reason, roku wont be around for another 5 years when Apple TV and Google's Android TV already allow for more apps than roku currently does (HBO MAX and Peacock).  Those are the true neutral platforms now

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Apple TV allows for more apps than Roku.  Keep on defending the inferior product my man!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Or maybe the reason he posts more is because he sees the flaws of the product whereas you do not?  Roku literally cannot call themselves neutral anymore when there are two other products by bigger companies that allow for more content.  Yall can't even accept facts....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

In the past Roku NEVER would've throttled HBO Max or Peacock like they're doing now.  [post edited], but hey ignorance is bliss right

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@notneutral8 wrote:

You realize Roku is creating original content right?  Not to mention they push their own roku channel so hard now you literally CANNOT call them neutral.  Keep thinking anyone who sees through their bull**bleep** only love AT&T for some reason, roku wont be around for another 5 years when Apple TV and Google's Android TV already allow for more apps than roku currently does (HBO MAX and Peacock).  Those are the true neutral platforms now

Just a heads-up to anyone reading this thread, this username was created *today* and these are the only posts by this "person".  Welcome to the Roku forums!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@notneutral8 wrote:

You realize Roku is creating original content right?  

While I think you're spamming here, I'll respond anyway. No, Roku does NOT create any content. They offer content from other providers via The Roku Channel, but they themselves are not content providers. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

As a friendly reminder of the Community Guidelines when posting in the Community:

Be kind, courteous, and positive when posting. The Community exists to help users. Posting abusive, obscene, harassing, hostile, defamatory, offensive, tortious, argumentative, inappropriate or otherwise objectionable content may result in loss of access to the Community. Roku reserves the right to remove any content at its discretion. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 8

Greedy Roku!

I decided to stop by and voice opposition to the way Roku is behaving. Roku is no longer the beloved neutral company I fell in love with. No, they got greedy.

I used to laugh at the FireTV users complaining that they couldn't watch YouTube. I'd say things like "You need to switch a neutral platform like Roku". Not anymore.

The jokes on us all now. Want Peacock? Sorry, you couldn't get it on Roku even if you wanted to! Nobody is getting on Roku anymore unless they plan on "profit sharing". The though that Roku would stay neutral in face of all that money is laughable. Shame on me for being so naive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Greedy Roku!

I honestly don't know if the greedy part of the equation is Roku or AT&T/NBC for the HBO and Peacock issues. There's arguments to be made from both parties. I have no position in this, as I really don't care about either channel. But I completely understand it's a major issue for others. 

Someone has dug in their heels, and since the issue is with both Roku and Amazon Fire TV, you have to start wondering if the problem isn't with the hardware providers. They only thing you find online is conjecture and opinion, so we really don't know what's going on in the negotiations. 

I'm not defending Roku, Amazon, or the providers. Simply pointing out we end users have no real idea what's happening.

Dan
0 Kudos