Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeneL
Level 7

What's new with the soon-to-be-released Ultra 4670R ?

Jump to solution

Trying to decide if I should buy the 4660R now or wait for the 4670R coming out this month.  Any comments welcomed.  Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fluke
Level 10

Re: What's new with the soon-to-be-released Ultra 4670R ?

Jump to solution

The website wikidevi seems to be working from filings with the FCC as they indicate the Roku Ultra 4670 got FCC approval in September of this year.

They indicate the RAM on the device has double to 2 gigabytes.  This might help explain the improved channel load time.  A channel made up of a complex BrightScript might need to perform garbage collection for memory less often with the additional RAM.  This may also allow for keeping a larger buffer of the stream to more gracefully handle network connection jitter.

They also predict the wifi radio chip has remained the same.  But they say nothing about the antenna.  Even with the same wifi chip, tweaks to the size and location of the wifi antennas can make a huge difference in performance.

There was also a FCC filing for a Roku Ultra LT 4662 without any USB port and remote finder button.  The LT also doesn't have the improved remote.  It will be interesting to see what price point the LT is sold at but I don't see it being that interesting for myself.

Overall, I don't see any reason someone with a 4640 or 4660 should need to rush to upgrade.

As to if you should wait for the 4670 if you are all the way back on the 3100, I am not sure.  Not only is the 4660 available immediately but is on sale for $70 on Amazon.  That is a nice price for what it provides.  The 4670 will probably come out at $100 but might see a light discount around black friday.

As atc98092 has pointed out, upgrading to a gigabit ethernet port would have been nice to see even if the processor won't be able to take full advantage of it.  I think by fall of 2021 we will finally see that but it is a disappoint not to have that in this refresh.

It is going to be an individual choice on how badly you are hurting with the 3100 and how much you are willing to pay.  But overall I think doubling the RAM is worth waiting a month and paying $30 more.  For most cases it probably won't make much of a noticeable difference but is still nice to have.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

All I've seen mainly is a claim to load a channel a little faster. I did see one thing online from someone that has already tested it, and that while it was a little faster the person wasn't sure it was worth replacing a current Ultra.

It does add two user-programmable shortcut buttons to the remote, so you can open a specific channel with a single button press.

They also claim their "best" wireless connection. Based on the spec sheet, it shows 802.11ac MIMO dual-band wireless, so supporting MIMO could make a difference. It still only has a Fast Ethernet network connection.

The spec sheet is also missing support for H.262 (MPEG-2) video, but that might just be an oversight. All their latest players have MPEG-2 support, so I doubt it was removed. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
GeneL
Level 7

Jump to solution

What I currently am using (freebie from a friend) is a  Roku 2, model 3100x which I think is a few years old.  Lots of pausing and buffering, not happy with it.  

My internet speed at the TV is 100Mbs, I'm hoping an upgrade to the latest Ultra 4670 will solve the problem.  

Thanks for your input !

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

The Roku 3100 is the 2 XS. I had two of them. They are ancient, and extremely low powered compared to later players. The 2 XS was released in July 2011. 

I think you would see a huge difference with even the least expensive Roku available. I wouldn't go with the new Ultra unless you really need the Ethernet connection, a USB port, or would like the user programmable buttons on the remote. The Premiere+ does everything the Ultra can do, with the above exceptions. But having the Ethernet jack might be enough of a reason for you. I know I prefer my devices hardwired, but I do have a Premiere that is wireless only. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
rtm1tb
Level 7

Jump to solution

Anything updated with chip set, video codecs?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

The WIki hasn't been updated with the latest Ultra, so no idea yet if the CPU has changed. The specs on the Roku.com product page doesn't provide any details about that. It does claim faster channel loading times, which would imply a faster CPU. Chipset might have changed to support MIMO 802.11AC, but I don't know if the Ultra 4660/61 supported that. They just claim their "best" wireless connection. 

The product page doesn't include any new codecs, and in fact is missing H.262, but I believe that's just an oversight. No word on Dolby Vision, and still no support for bitstreaming lossless audio. 

Dan
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

Jump to solution

The website wikidevi seems to be working from filings with the FCC as they indicate the Roku Ultra 4670 got FCC approval in September of this year.

They indicate the RAM on the device has double to 2 gigabytes.  This might help explain the improved channel load time.  A channel made up of a complex BrightScript might need to perform garbage collection for memory less often with the additional RAM.  This may also allow for keeping a larger buffer of the stream to more gracefully handle network connection jitter.

They also predict the wifi radio chip has remained the same.  But they say nothing about the antenna.  Even with the same wifi chip, tweaks to the size and location of the wifi antennas can make a huge difference in performance.

There was also a FCC filing for a Roku Ultra LT 4662 without any USB port and remote finder button.  The LT also doesn't have the improved remote.  It will be interesting to see what price point the LT is sold at but I don't see it being that interesting for myself.

Overall, I don't see any reason someone with a 4640 or 4660 should need to rush to upgrade.

As to if you should wait for the 4670 if you are all the way back on the 3100, I am not sure.  Not only is the 4660 available immediately but is on sale for $70 on Amazon.  That is a nice price for what it provides.  The 4670 will probably come out at $100 but might see a light discount around black friday.

As atc98092 has pointed out, upgrading to a gigabit ethernet port would have been nice to see even if the processor won't be able to take full advantage of it.  I think by fall of 2021 we will finally see that but it is a disappoint not to have that in this refresh.

It is going to be an individual choice on how badly you are hurting with the 3100 and how much you are willing to pay.  But overall I think doubling the RAM is worth waiting a month and paying $30 more.  For most cases it probably won't make much of a noticeable difference but is still nice to have.

View solution in original post

rtm1tb
Level 7

Jump to solution

thank you 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Jump to solution

As for the new remote included with 2019 Roku Ultra, in addition to two programmable keys, it will have a MUTE key for the tv.

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

Jump to solution

Wikidevi says the following about the remote:

"This 'new' model appears to come with a remote with model number RC-AL9 (FCC ID: TC2-RCB16) which is identical to the previous RC-AL4 remote except it has a new preset button."

It appears it does not.  I was also hoping the remote could control an AV receiver in addition to the TV similar to the tivo remotes.  It isn't know yet if that feature is include either.

You may want to wait for the product to actually be released to confirm the actual specs/functionality.

There are other third party remotes which may help achieve what you want.  However, I can't provide the name of them on this forum.  There are other forums online for discussion about Roku which might be able to provide a more complete answer.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

0 Kudos