Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stanmsilva

What is the difference between Roku Ultra 2020 and Roku Ultra 2021??

Jump to solution

I have two older Roku Ultra's (4660X2). I have them connect via ethernet for more solid streaming. Both work well, but I have purchased a new 80 inch TV that is 8K capable. My other TV is 4k capable. Since my present Roku's (Models 4660X2's) are older but have the 9.4 OS on them and I believe I will get the new 10 OS. What do I gain from moving to the newer Roku Ultra 2021? I can't seem to get very much information on it, and maybe just moving to the Roku Ultra 2020 is going to be just fine. Lovesome great feedback on my questions

Thank you!!

Stan

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What is the difference between Roku Ultra 2020 and Roku Ultra 2021??

Jump to solution

Assuming you are comparing your 4660 to the latest 4800, there's quite a few differences. 

First, the 4800 has a faster processor. It's noticeably faster than my 4640 and 4670 Ultras.  It also has much more channel storage and operational memory. Put together, the 4800 is much faster than older versions. It has built-in support for the AC-4 audio codec, which is beginning to be used with some Internet streaming sites. It adds MIMO to the WiFi radio for improved wireless performance. The final major improvement is support for Dolby Vision.

In the loss column, the 4800 does not have an SD cart slot for adding channel storage space. Since the 4800 has so much channel storage now, it's likely a non-issue. 

Yes, your 4660s will get OS 10.0. I can't see any benefit to upgrade them to the 4670, but moving to the 4800 would be noticeable. To be honest, unless Dolby Vision would be a major draw for you, I don't think I'd bother moving from the 4660 to the 4800. Yes, it performs better, but I still use my Ultra 4640 and have zero issues. Since my LG is a DV display, it made sense to add the 4800 to it. The 4670 is connected to a small 1080 TV, and the 4640 is in my suitcase for when I travel. 

Don't pay more than $99 for any Roku Ultra. That's the price on the Roku web site, and anywhere it's being sold higher is scalping. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

atc98092

Jump to solution

The only difference between the Ultra 4800 and 4802 that's listed in the Wiki is the 4802 doesn't have a USB port. Same processor, same memory, same Fast Ethernet connection. 

Buffering can come from two reasons: slow network and/or the media has too high a bitrate for the processor. If you're streaming from the Internet, neither of those should be an issue, as it's rare to find anything on the Internet that exceeds 20 Mbps or so. The exception is streaming from a home media server, such as Plex, Emby, or a DLNA server on your home network. With UHD video rips, it's easy to exceed the Fast Ethernet speed of a wired connection with any Roku that has Ethernet.

My solution for that is using WiFi, but it has to be 802.11ac on 5 GHz to be faster than the wired connection. I have tested my WiFi on my Ultra 4800, and the Roku has a max speed of about 220 Mbps on a strong 5 GHz WiFi. I've also tested the Ultra with some fixed bandwidth video files, playing from the USB port so no network bottleneck. The Ultra begins occasional buffering at around 180 Mbps, so that's about the limit of any existing Roku device. My UHD rips average around 80 Mbps, with peaks around 150 Mbps, so the Roku can handle them as long as my server transcodes the audio to a supported codec like AC3. 

Dan

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

FYI, the 4800 is the 2020 Ultra, the 4670 is the 2019 Ultra, the 4660X2 is the 2018 Ultra, etc - there is no 2021 Ultra (yet - that would be released this fall most likely).

Regardless, you can see the full product specs for the 4800 here:  https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

stanmsilva

Jump to solution

Thank you for your quick response!! Okay, no new 2021 as of yet, Amazon needs to update their description on their Roku Ultra. As I did a search on Roku Ultra 2021 and a new unit came up for $187.00!! Said it was the latest even it was 2021. But you cleared that up for me thank you.

In your humble opinion, what gains am I going to get coming from Roku 2018 to Roku 2020 and if there will be 2021 coming out do you know much about it and what gains will come from it? I do see the new remote that can be recharged and I love that. I will replace both my remotes.

Thank you, again!!

Stan

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Keep in mind that Amazon consists of Amazon and people selling through Amazon.  The latter may vary in pricing, integrity, fly-by-night-ness etc. Check who it is sold by in each listing.

atc98092

Jump to solution

Assuming you are comparing your 4660 to the latest 4800, there's quite a few differences. 

First, the 4800 has a faster processor. It's noticeably faster than my 4640 and 4670 Ultras.  It also has much more channel storage and operational memory. Put together, the 4800 is much faster than older versions. It has built-in support for the AC-4 audio codec, which is beginning to be used with some Internet streaming sites. It adds MIMO to the WiFi radio for improved wireless performance. The final major improvement is support for Dolby Vision.

In the loss column, the 4800 does not have an SD cart slot for adding channel storage space. Since the 4800 has so much channel storage now, it's likely a non-issue. 

Yes, your 4660s will get OS 10.0. I can't see any benefit to upgrade them to the 4670, but moving to the 4800 would be noticeable. To be honest, unless Dolby Vision would be a major draw for you, I don't think I'd bother moving from the 4660 to the 4800. Yes, it performs better, but I still use my Ultra 4640 and have zero issues. Since my LG is a DV display, it made sense to add the 4800 to it. The 4670 is connected to a small 1080 TV, and the 4640 is in my suitcase for when I travel. 

Don't pay more than $99 for any Roku Ultra. That's the price on the Roku web site, and anywhere it's being sold higher is scalping. 

Dan

dathead2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Since my LG is a DV display, it made sense to add the 4800 to it

Coukd you clarify that point?

Also i saw in another thread that 4800 would not read any drive greater that 2TB via the usb.  Tell me that's not so!?

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@dathead2 wrote:

Since my LG is a DV display, it made sense to add the 4800 to it

Coukd you clarify that point?

Also i saw in another thread that 4800 would not read any drive greater that 2TB via the usb.  Tell me that's not so!?

His LG TV supports Dolby Vision, and the 4800 supports Dolby Vision, hence the good pairing/match.

The 2TB limit isnt so.

0 Kudos
Brian23
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

After talking to geeks bestbuy if you're tv does not support Dolby vision. there's no streaming device that will work so forget that sales pitch . Dolby atmos is everywhere that's a mute sales pitch it's a version of surround sound roku streaming doesn't offer any true surround,it's virtual i have all of Roku speakers and subwoofer for all the $$$ invested you can get a real surround system for less money I have done that a fell for the pitch. Don't waste your time do your homework!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

What are you talking about?

• Simply because a TV doesn't support DV doesn't mean it won't work with a streaming player. Virtually all 4K TVs on sale today at least support HDR, and all Roku 4K players do as well. And if it's a 1080p TV, then all streaming players will provide that level of resolution and SDR color.
  • Dolby Atmos is a height channel, not specifically surround. Every Roku player supports Dolby Digital, which offers true 5.1 surround sound. Dolby Digital is NOT virtual surround. Now if you have a sound bar, rather than a 5.1 speaker array, then the surround sound is in some ways created virtually. Some sound bars have discrete speakers for all 5 channels, and use acoustic tricks to make the sound appear around the listener. Others do create the sound field virtually. 

It sounds like you need to do some more homework. Smiley Wink​​​​​​​

Dan

Carina07
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Is there a notable difference between the most current Roku Ultra and the 4k Roku device? Does the Roku Ulta eliminate buffering for various apps? Or, would a booster like a Eero or Lynksis booster for the internet help? We are supposed to have the fastest internet speed, but we do experience significant buffering at times. Thanks!

0 Kudos