Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iona-D
Level 9

Using A Dependable Data Saving Timer With My Roku Device!

I would like to update my Roku experience with more flexibility controlling my device to be on or off in different ways when I desired it to be.  Since my Roku’s now more permanent return to my new bedroom, I decided to add a timer in addition to it’s on/off switch so I don’t leave it running all night and run up my data allowance if I fall asleep while the TV and the Roku devices are on and running.  

I bought a Philips Indoor Dual Outlet 2 Prong Mechanical Timer which is now offered at my local Target physical store for managing Christmas tree lights for the upcoming holiday season    This device is simple to use and very dependable. On one outlet, my previously already in use  On/Off Switch is still being used with the Roku to turn it on/off independently of the other functions as I deem fit. The other outlet my very dumb TV is plugged in as it has no sleep timer built in.  Why dump a perfectly good still running television just because it lacked a certain feature? That ‘s so wasteful!

Everything is hooked up and set to go off at 9:00 pm tonight and will turn off at 1:00 am.  The On/Off Switch which the Roku device has always been plugged in before is  now plugged directly plugged into one of the timer's outlets instead of directly into the power strip then set to “On” to insure that it will turn on at the exact time that the television does.   .And turn off at the exact time the timer goes off. Right now the Roku/Television are off and set to the timer option. There is an Override Switch on top to give complete manual control of my 2 devices back to me.  I turn on both devices and then slide the Switch to "timer" side so it will work when needed.  

This set-up works very well for me.  Perhaps it’s not an ideal set up, but what is?  I can not only keep track of my data usage, but don’t worry about burning out my television too soon.  This timer has already paid for itself. There are many types of both mechanical and electronic timers out there.  Do check them out and you won’t be disappointed after you get the hang of it!Elaborate Philips Timer Set Up Resized.jpg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
boogernose
Level 10

Re: Using A Dependable Data Saving Timer With My Roku Device!

Interesting contraption. You do know that the Roku has a 4 hour shutoff timer.

Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 9

Oh yes I do!  I have been using the above timer option as well as long as I had this particular device.  While It works well by itself. It did not change the fact that my television does not have a built in timer to use along with it.  What I decided was more on the order that I wanted 2 devices to turn on/off to the time I set every 24 hours.  I keep falling asleep after around 9 o’clock at night and I don’t want either device to play all night. I wanted both to be shut off completely-rather than just powered down-simultaneously at a certain time when all over the air programs that I’m interested in are over  (1 am during the week) is not on.  . I have been using timers for other appliances for years. Why not for a television that I don’t want to spend money to replace just now or keeping my Roku device pn when no one is using it?  

I am well aware that this set up is not for everyone.  But it just might be the solution for some.

boogernose
Level 10

I fall asleep sometimes too and just turn it off in the morning.

So your idea makes sense.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 9

Elaborate Philips Timer Set Up Resized.jpgMy Unique Dual Timer + On/Off Switch Layout Set-Up For My Roku

0 Kudos