Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
boogernose
Level 9

Upgrading from Roku2

Jump to solution

I'm still using my old Roku2 which still works fine. Is there any real appreciable performance gains in getting a Ultra??? My only issues are with occasional crashing and losing of channels mid program, occasionally. Plus I insist on using Ethernet so I guess Im stuck with the Ultra. Is it worth it? Anyone KNOW from personal experience?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Upgrading from Roku2

Jump to solution

@boogernose wrote:

Like how? I don't really need better resolution than 720p. Do Ultra owners experience less buffering issues?

And crashing?

I have a Roku2 4210x

Glad you clarified which Roku 2 you have. They made a lot of different versions with huge performance differences. 

The Roku 2 4210 is still a supported device, and will continue to receive updates. It supports 1080p and Netflix profiles. What is lacks compared to a new device is operating memory and channel storage memory, and a noticeably faster processor. Yours didn't come with a WiFi Direct remote, but it supports adding one if desired. The newer Ultra doesn't have any faster of an Ethernet connection. 

I have the older, original Ultra, and the only time I've had crashing issues was with a particular channel, that once updated resolved the issue. I can't remember the last time it ever crashed.

If you are satisfied with your 4210, and isn't causing any problems, I don't think there's much of a reason to upgrade. Buffering issues are usually network related, and not a problem with the device itself. But if it crashes often, it's possible that something hardware related is failing. Your Roku was released in April 2015, so the design is over 4 years old. Something like a bad solder joint on the motherboard can cause issues long after it was put into use. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 12

Jump to solution

Roku2 as in XS? YES!! There will be very big difference in performance between a xs and the Ultra. It'll be like a breathe of fresh air.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 9

Jump to solution

Like how? I dont really need better resolution than 720p. Do Ultra owners experience less buffering issues?

And crashing?

I have a Roku2 4210x

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@boogernose wrote:

Like how? I don't really need better resolution than 720p. Do Ultra owners experience less buffering issues?

And crashing?

I have a Roku2 4210x

Glad you clarified which Roku 2 you have. They made a lot of different versions with huge performance differences. 

The Roku 2 4210 is still a supported device, and will continue to receive updates. It supports 1080p and Netflix profiles. What is lacks compared to a new device is operating memory and channel storage memory, and a noticeably faster processor. Yours didn't come with a WiFi Direct remote, but it supports adding one if desired. The newer Ultra doesn't have any faster of an Ethernet connection. 

I have the older, original Ultra, and the only time I've had crashing issues was with a particular channel, that once updated resolved the issue. I can't remember the last time it ever crashed.

If you are satisfied with your 4210, and isn't causing any problems, I don't think there's much of a reason to upgrade. Buffering issues are usually network related, and not a problem with the device itself. But if it crashes often, it's possible that something hardware related is failing. Your Roku was released in April 2015, so the design is over 4 years old. Something like a bad solder joint on the motherboard can cause issues long after it was put into use. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

boogernose
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thats useful and pretty much was I was looking for.

I just didnt want to upgrade for no real reasons so I'll stick with it.

If some of the cheaper sticks had ethernet I'd give them a try.

0 Kudos