Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Level 10

They're baaaack

7 Replies
boogernose
Level 8

Re: They're baaaack

yup

0 Kudos
joetesta
Level 10

Does that mean we can switch back to the old forums now? ;p

aspiring
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know!

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

I have to wonder what the amount of pay off is for these forum spammers.  None of the spam seem like products I would ever be interested in.

The spam I ran across over the last week was related to a competing media player which again I don't see many members of this forum being interested in buying if they haven't already.  Despite that, the spam got to site for the entire night.

I'm disappointed that we are now being assigned levels and badges but that seems to change nothing about how we react to spam.  It would be nice if posts I report get immediately marked as hidden.  The community managers could then choose to fully delete the post or restore it.  If a high rank community member abuses the ability to remove spam then the community manager could revoke that privilege.  But as it stands, regardless of if the  community member finding spam is level 1 or level 99, the methodology of how the forum responds to spam remains the same.  That situation seems to provide a slight advantage to the level 1 spammers.  They don't seem to care if their post and account eventually get blocked, as long as the spam gets some people to click the link they still seem motivated to sign up for additional spam postings.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

@fluke wrote:

I have to wonder what the amount of pay off is for these forum spammers.  None of the spam seem like products I would ever be interested in.

The spam I ran across over the last week was related to a competing media player which again I don't see many members of this forum being interested in buying if they haven't already.  Despite that, the spam got to site for the entire night.

I'm disappointed that we are now being assigned levels and badges but that seems to change nothing about how we react to spam.  It would be nice if posts I report get immediately marked as hidden.  The community managers could then choose to fully delete the post or restore it.  If a high rank community member abuses the ability to remove spam then the community manager could revoke that privilege.  But as it stands, regardless of if the  community member finding spam is level 1 or level 99, the methodology of how the forum responds to spam remains the same.  That situation seems to provide a slight advantage to the level 1 spammers.  They don't seem to care if their post and account eventually get blocked, as long as the spam gets some people to click the link they still seem motivated to sign up for additional spam postings.

Although they could conceivably receive benefit from some click-throughs, I think the real payoff is having their posted links indexed when the search engine spiders come visiting.  The more links back to a site the spiders find, the higher the placement in search engine results.  So they post their dreck on as many boards as they can, knowing that their links will be noticed by the search spiders on at least some boards, especially those that are lax in removing spam.

Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
fluke
Level 10

@makaiguy wrote:

I think the real payoff is having their posted links indexed when the search engine spiders come visiting.  The more links back to a site the spiders find, the higher the placement in search engine results.

Good point.  If gaming Google PageRank and similar is the value, then it seems like that value should be easy to eliminate or at least reduce.  If a new thread is started by a level 1 member then add it to the robots.txt to be denied from search engine indexing for 72 hours.  If the new thread survives moderation for over 72 hours then it could get added to the search engine index on the next pass.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 8

Most of these idiots have bots going around and filling in the info.

I forget if we did this when signing up but there shouldve been a Captcha question

or the one with several pics and you pick out the good ones....things bots cant do.

0 Kudos