Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iona-D
Level 10

The Argument For Over Buying/Using Separate Devices Over Fully Integrated Smart TVs

I just spotted another interesting recently released Business Insider online  article titled:   

"Smart TVs are having a rotten couple of weeks, and it proves  why you should buy a separate media streaming device."

I have all my devices completely separate surrounding the television on stands, tables or simply dangling behind or hanging nearby it.  In case one of them dies, it’s easy to replace the dead useless usually palm size one in favor of a more upgraded version. Or I could choose to place any one of them in it’s own traveling hard case and go somewhere else when the whim hits me. Even the boxy, yet small, Ultra has that over the far more bulkier television.

But sooner or later the television itself dies.  Or someone in the family wants to upgrade. Whatever the reason, one will find oneself in the market for a new television.  What to do?  

Even for the most technophobes and techno klutzes (like me!), the way smart televisions are made should be a warning signpost:  they all have an on board computer inside them. That means that even if the basic physical television itself can go on for many years after, the computer innards ages far more quickly and becomes very outdated long before that.  And your’re stuck with it.

So I now seem to prefer the basic no frills “dumb“ televisions like the one I’m currently using.  When you can find them (as they seem to get harder to find as the smart versions grow in popularity), they tend to be much cheaper and mostly even more reliable to use.  Simply put they’re not Internet Dependent! It still can be just as “smart” as it’s fancier cousins when I need it to be. I just make sure that the fancy “smarts” are within the little devices surrounding it.  And each are just as fast to change as your clothes!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
optikhog
Level 9

Re: The Argument For Over Buying/Using Separate Devices Over Fully Integrated Smart TVs

Meh.  I used to think this way but realized that I've never had a Roku fail in the many years I have owned them, so I switched to a Roku TV when my Vizio gave out.  The additional features and the fact that the price difference between it and a "dumb" TV was about $19 convinced me to go for the Roku TV unit.  We use the 'Live TV' feature all of the time now and the ease of switching inputs from the familiar Roku interface is so much easier for the non-technical people in our house to use.  No regrets here.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 10

Re: The Argument For Over Buying/Using Separate Devices Over Fully Integrated Smart TVs

Yet.

0 Kudos
optikhog
Level 9

Why would you say that based on my desription/opinion? We're at 2 years and going strong, so why would my regret change? I'm ok with buying another TV if this one fails in a few years as, again, they are cheap; not to mention technology is evolving with them.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

My main complaint with many Smart TVs (which includes all Roku and Fire TVs I've seen) is that none have a remote with a numeric pad for direct OTA channel selection. That was one of the criteria when I recently replaced my old 1080 plasma. Being forced to scroll through a channel guide or list is annoying when you already know which channel you want. Since I have about 50 channels available here in the Seattle area, it takes a long time to go from one extreme to the other, regardless if I'm scrolling up or down. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Boz
Level 10

My opinion was the same for a long time.  The problem is, in reality, in the current market, "Smart" TVs are RARELY more expensive than non-smart TVs of the same size and similar quality, and are often from lesser known brands like Sceptre.  So looking for a good non-smart TV that costs less than a smart TV currently can be an exercise in futility.

Rich_T
Level 9

Theres a Roku Tv due to launch in the UK soon - the first one ( also with FV play as well as Roku on board)

this is the info form the manufacturer : https://hisense.co.uk/rokutv/

and from Roku : https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/roku-tv

and an image of the remote, which is very different, featuring a full numeric keypad

https://cigars.roku.com/v1/http%3A%2F%2Fimage.roku.com%2Fw%2Frapid%2Fimages%2Fundefined%2Fa94c806b-e...