Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Value of Roku Over Fire Stick

First I am not a shill for Roku. I have several Roku's and Fire Sticks. I started with Roku but found their remote bulky and a battery eater even when not in use. (Roku Ultra). My hands would cramp up using it for repetitive tasks.  I switched to Fire Stick and loved the slim/slick remote which was head and shoulders above the Roku's. FF and Rewind were so much easier and with much more accurate results. I detested the GUI which was just massively busy and the non-ending plugs for Amazon, even being a Prime member, but was willing to put up with it because of the remote. No more.

I value my TV time as being de-stressing. Navigating Fire Sticks GUI became more stressful ... sensory overload. But what really was the last straw was all the Autoplay features. I could no longer browse in peace. Make the mistake of briefly stopping on anything Amazon wants to promote and you are met with a trailer. This was not only true of their own content but of the services you could subscribe to like HBO. I complained to no avail. Then Netflix started automatically playing the first episode, or next, of every series I was watching. What a bunch of BS. If I didn't want to watch whatever episode they determined I should be watching I needed to blackout to get to the series menu. I fumed and stopped watching Netflix for awhile. I complained to no avail. Then Apple TV plus would immediately start playing the next episode in a series unless I backed out to the series menu. More BS and there is really no good way to complain to Apple ... you can't even rate their App in Apple's App Store.

However, I have both Fire Stick and my Roku connected through my AV receiver so after months of frustration I decided to see how all this was handled through Roku. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when none of the above behaviors showed their ugly heads. I didn't go cross eyed reading the Home screen and the screen saver remained active unlike the Fire stick which goes to black after about 15 minutes.

I will probably use the Firestick for YTTV (Maybe Hulu) because of FF and Rewind but For everything else, where commercials or skipping through content are not an issue, it's now Roku.

This post is mostly .... Thanks Roku 😊

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku

@KRoach wrote:

How do you survive without Customer service over the phone. What a bull**bleep** company that blames the situation for inadequate service.

At the very least, there should be a real-time chat room to chat with a tech support rep to solve the problems. Other things have one why not Roku? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@Grog13 wrote:

I understand their frustration... yes, the device is easy to install & use until update 9.3 which has rendered the device unusable because it connotes find & connect to a home wi-fi network.  I've tried everything including the factory reset & all I've accomplished is to have my account now show no linked devices.  Of course I'm still being billed for premium services I can't access. I reputable company would work harder to satisfy their customers.

How about doing a network reset? That should fix the issue. I have a 2018 model Roku Express + and I updated to update 9.3 and I've had zero problems with my device being able to connect to a WIFi network. And the WiFi network it connects to is my home WiFi network. And if you want to use another wireless device such as an IPad, you need to in the range of your network for it to connect. Your device automatically searches for and finds your home network when you install your device.  And why is your device unusable when it connects to your home network? It's supposed to connect to your home network. If you want it to connect to another network then it needs to be in the range of another network such as a public network. Maybe your home network is an issue. In that case, reset your home network, or have whoever services your network come out and find out why this is happening. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Just waiting for the new Chromecast Sabrina to DROP!! Roku

It saddens me to say as a long time Roku user it's getting to the point that the Roku devices are worthless, no HBO Max, now not Peacock and not a word from the Roku people. What's the point of having a device that can't offer its users the latest apps. So as soon as the new Chromecast Sabrina comes out, I am done with Roku, I don't trust Roku ability to offer its users the latest apps to come out.

PS: Yea call us wieners as I see a lot of Roku's super supporters telling others that are complaining, but come on man enough is enough.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Just waiting for the new Chromecast Sabrina to DROP!! Roku

You do know for a LONNNNNG time roku had more apps than anyone else. The others were missing apps for sooooo many years. Just because Roku does not want to pay a company to have an app does not mean its a bad platform. You should be blaming app developer as Roku prefers to stay neutral.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Just waiting for the new Chromecast Sabrina to DROP!! Roku

hackztor like you said long time ago and that's the reason why I liked Roku over other streamers, but as of right now Roku is starting to look like the other streamers I didn't choose due to not having apps which I like. 

It just looks like Roku is holding hostage the amount of users they were able to accumulate because longgggggggggg time ago they always had the latest apps. Now they are taking over by GREED!!!

PS: why was my post merge into this one, Chromecast has nothing to do with Firestick  if anything Firestick is more similar to Roku at this point.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Will you be choosing Chromecast due to the lack of streaming channels?

Since there is currently no more Roku Customer Service. I am wondering if Roku customers will gift Google Chromecast this holiday season, because Roku refuses to compromise on profits with HBO/Cinemax/HBO Max and Peacock streaming contracts? Right now Roku has the upper hand, however the closer it gets to Black Friday, the closer Roku gets to filing for bankruptcy (since it came so close last year after the dismal holiday season).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

It appears to be incompatibility with some routers, so some people have problems and others don't. If you're not having a problem, it does nothing to reduce the frustration of those who do have problems that Roku is responsible for and appears to be ignoring. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I hit the judo button and then realized that your post was 3 weeks ago! The Roku support person who responded to my e-mail (which I only was able to send because I lied about which device I have) is clearly not aware of the problem now. This is so disappointing because I have loved the Roku until now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Value of Roku Over Fire Stick

Yea this commercial **bleep** has gotten significantly worse during the three months I didn't use my firestick. Yes Roku remote eats batteries for breakfast and especially if you dare funnel the audio through the remote. I also agree that their fast forward is much better than Roku's. Amazon's Firestick  had on and off 4k issues with Netflix that they didn't seem to want to publicly acknowledge. This lasted a year but it seems to be resolved now and  so instead my Roku just stopped doing Prime in 4K and we can't get any significant reaction from the tech guys on this and my workaround means I have to have both Firestick and Roku working together on my TCL  TV ( this also seems to only effect TV roku combos not the ultra and such)

Yes its real annoying not to have either live chat or telephone option available cause I sure would like to know if they acknowledge the problem and are taking steps to resolve it for it all started with the last update and there doesn't seem to be a way to reinstall the older firmware till the situation is resolved

0 Kudos