Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: complaint

have spent hour hoping to get a link on a new roku weight for down lode several time over and no link.

I don't get how the %#^& stays in business. giving up and going to watch my fire stick.

Highlighted
Level 17

Re: complaint

I was in a horribly tragic accident many years ago.

The Doctors told my family I was brain dead and not expected to survive.

They did an experimental operation and were able to revive but one brain lobe.

Since then I've had Three successive Roku's with few problems I couldnt easily handle

that were few and far between.

I lie everyday with my mouth open and cant control my functions.

But I'm very grateful for my Roku's.

Its a case by case circumstance I suppose.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Thanks Roku Going To Firestick

Fire stick offer so much more, I’m also switching.

Highlighted
Level 10

I'm fine with Roku not having a browser. My 2018 LG TV has a browser, but there are times when  that stripped down TV browser cannot load a page. So I bought a Samsung Chromebook 3 laptop, and have that plugged into the TV. Whenever the TV browser doesn't cut it, I go to the Chromebook to browse. I don't need Roku to include a stripped down browser, nor do I want to pay extra for a browser, as I don't need it.

I operate the Chromebook 3 browser with a wireless mouse and keypad from Logitech. The Chromebook 3 sits closed under the TV. I never have to open it.

2018 Ultra 4660
Highlighted
Level 19

First time I was on-line I used webtv, used it for 4 years attached to my tv, it was built-in to my UTV directv dvr. So I got used to using the tv as a monitor, when upgraded to pc it has been attached to tv ever since. Either by vga and now hdmi. 

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 7

Seems like a bad time to buy my first roku

Reading through these posts about the lack of information and support, it seems like a roku would be a bad investment . Shame as I am looking to update my old Apple TV.

Amazon Prime day tomorrow, maybe consider a Fire stick/cube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Seems like a bad time to buy my first roku

There's nothing wrong with the Fire TV. Personally, I don't like the Amazon-centric user interface, and I'm a long time Amazon Prime member. 

But remember that forums such as this are bound to contain mostly people with problems, as users seldom post when everything works fine. I've been using Roku devices for about 8 years now, and even though the Nvidia Shield is my primary player for my local media, the Roku is still well used in my home. I have two Roku TVs, one used every day (the other is a spare bedroom), and my Ultra is the primary streamer on one TV and the alternate on another. If I didn't have my local media with lossless audio, I would have nothing but Roku players. 

I would recommend any Roku device other than the Express. It's the lowest priced Roku, and for some unknown reason seems to be the one that gets the most complaints. If you desire a wired network connection, the Ultra is your only option. There's a brand new Ultra coming out this week, so the previous model is on sale in many places. Dolby Vision support is the biggest reason someone might want to wait for the new Ultra. My LG supports DV, but my AVR doesn't, so it doesn't matter if my players do or not. Smiley Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@MBarrows wrote:

Reading through these posts about the lack of information and support, it seems like a roku would be a bad investment . Shame as I am looking to update my old Apple TV.

Amazon Prime day tomorrow, maybe consider a Fire stick/cube

If you have an old Apple TV then why wouldn't replace it with a new Apple TV.  Neither the Fire TV or Roku are the same feel as an Apple TV.  I'm not saying Apple TV is better (I personally don't care for it's flavor of doing things), but if you like it then why not stick with it?

Most merchants will let you return a Roku if it doesn't fit your needs within 30 days.  I still see it as a safer investment than Fire stick.  I would recommend you try checking into people's experiences with Amazon "support" on the sub-reddit for Fire stick before getting one.

Also, to better advise you, can you explain what do you normally use Apple TV for and what were you hoping to get out of a Roku or Fire Stick?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

It is always a good time to buy a first Roku even at these unstable times like this one is.  I have 3 now and like the devices very much.  I don’t expect too much from their originating manufactorier anymore, but that does not negate the positives, pros, or the underlying strengths of these devices.  

The key is simply:  

*Make sure you buy your device not only from a reputable vendor, but one who offers a good return/exchange policy.   I just had to take back one of my devices last week because, it was a lemon with no problem getting my money back via my credit card.  I bought another one through that same vendor and it works just fine.

*Do buy the better models as atc98092 suggested above (I chose both the Ultra and two Streaming Stick Plus).  I never had any issues with them I could not handle.  I have had them well over a year already. 

*I feel that right now is a good time to do your purchases.  You will be able to address any problem that might come up from a simple one as how to hook it up to major troubleshooting.  NOT during an emergency like the lockdown earlier this year.  

*Have a back up plan with an additional streaming device or 2 from another manufacturer like some of us do here.  I personally use Google products like the old Gen 2 one (saved my bacon when Roku chose not to offer Peacock TV for a couple of months), and now the addition of 2 Chromecast/Google TV devices.  Remember that it’s up to you to take charge of what you want to view/experience from any device you choose to use.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos