Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liow
Level 7

TV in garage/ no cable needed

My son-in-law gave me a flat screen TV for Father's day for the garage but I didn't want to run a cable wire or rent another cable box so I bought a Roku box which streams from the internet. I can get custom music stations from Pandora, movie and TV shows through Netflix and Amazon, as well as streaming from MSNBC and Fox.
At the bottom of the TV is an iPod that my brother-in-law converted all of my old vinyl albums to (1500 songs) and all of the sounds run through an old Techniques receiver that runs through old but great sounding ADS speakers.
The cabinet is from IKEA (around a $100).
The point is that you can still reuse a lot of older electronic equipment for your garage.
5 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: TV in garage/ no cable needed

[Topic moved]
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
SooCitySue
Level 7

That's pretty neat... I wouldn't have thought of all that.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

I managed to get a couple of Chromecast Audio before they discontinued. For $70 I was able to convert an old stereo system to be able to use Whole House audio. My newer AVR in basement has Chromecast built in, plus the Google Home Minis I got for free from various other Google purchases like my Phone and Nest. It's great when you can reuse old equipment. I wish Google would bring back Chromecast Audio to compete with Amazon's new Echo Input
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 10

One of the nicer things I really like about streaming devices are they could be used  simultaneously with traditional cable/satellite boxes and the like within the same household and/or account.    This allows for individual flexibility  within a individualized  household from 1 to multiple populations.  Or a simple way to see if going 100% streaming is right for YOU, not someone else. 

Love those liberating choices! 

0 Kudos
rjdriver
Level 7

Have a similar setup in my house.  Using an old Pioneer receiver to control the sound for all devices: Roku, Fire stick, DVD player, and OTA TV.  It plays through 4 medium size Infinity speakers spread around the room, plus an old speaker of unknown brand I put behind the TV for voice.  To give you an idea of how old the receiver is, it's best audio capability is Dolby Pro logic.  It's all analog and probably classified as an "antique" but it produces some pretty good movie sound with separation and movement among all speakers.   

All my CDs have been converted to mp3, but I haven't added that to the system yet.  Just use those in the car.  Pandora suffices in the house.  Still mostly living in the digital dark ages, I guess, but guests often remark about the realistic sound.  

LG 42" 1080, Sony S550 Blu Ray, Pioneer VSX 512S, Harmony One, Roku 3-wired, Fire TV Stick, FlircUSB, 30Mb, Antenna. Coventry RI, USA
0 Kudos