Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
musicbrain
Level 9

TIRED of getting 6-10 emails a day on a topic I contributed to.

Jump to solution

When i joined Roku Community, I didn't expect my email inbox to get 6-10 emails EVERY DAY with each new comment someone posted on a topic I contributed to.

I tried to change preferences, but it did not work.  So, today I chose UNSUBSCRIBE.   Is this how poorly this is set up?   You should be able to choose not to receive emails on certain topics you posted to, and not have to unsubscribe to getting any emails at all.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Level 16

Re: TIRED of getting 6-10 emails a day on a topic I contributed to.

Jump to solution

The forum software is not Roku's. It's something called Khoros (see the logo at the bottom of the page.) Comcast used to use it before changing to something inferior called Sprinklr (or something like that.)

When writing a reply, at least on a computer, there should be a checkbox on the right-side that says "Email me when someone replies". You can uncheck that if it's already checked. As noted, there are preferences where you can make emailed reply notifications the default or not.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9\
themole
Level 10

Jump to solution

Everything here is poorly set up. There is no meaningful support from Roku here anyway.

Further evidence is the amount of spam in there forums (cannabis gummies etc) - there is clearly no one monitoring the forums

OwnerofDevices
Level 11

Jump to solution

How the system works current is a good thing for myself. I rely on the emails to let me know if anyone needs help or if someone is responding to my post. The emails remind me to login to the community and take a look and comment when necessary.

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

Jump to solution

The forum software is not Roku's. It's something called Khoros (see the logo at the bottom of the page.) Comcast used to use it before changing to something inferior called Sprinklr (or something like that.)

When writing a reply, at least on a computer, there should be a checkbox on the right-side that says "Email me when someone replies". You can uncheck that if it's already checked. As noted, there are preferences where you can make emailed reply notifications the default or not.

View solution in original post

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

There is a setting under your user account that will disable the auto-subscribe. Open your user account at the top of the page and select My Settings. On your settings page, select Preferences. Scroll down the list and uncheck the box labeled "Automatically subscribe me to topics or reviews I participate in".

For messages that you still have a subscription to, there is three vertical dots at the top of the page, click that and select "unsubscribe". Once you've done both of these steps, you won't get any further emails from the past threads and you won't get any new ones. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
whomeqqqq
Level 9

Jump to solution

yes

but that is what you get when  you let agile hackers do anything that comes to mind and there is no management or coordination along with improper testing of what else a 'fix' will  break before unleashing it

0 Kudos
themole
Level 10

Jump to solution

@whomeqqqq wrote:

yes

but that is what you get when  you let agile hackers do anything that comes to mind and there is no management or coordination along with improper testing of what else a 'fix' will  break before unleashing it

Yup - you would think a “major” update (v9 - v10) would have been well tested before release. It looks like no one there even bothered to connect a usb hard drive to the unit and try to play at least the most common video formats. Mine won’t even play an avi file! Avi? Come on - it’s one of the oldest and most common formats.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

AVI has never been a supported container for Roku devices. Most likely due to licensing requirements.                   

Dan

0 Kudos
themole
Level 10

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

AVI has never been a supported container for Roku devices. Most likely due to licensing requirements.                   

I have quite a few avi videos and if the ultra wouldn’t play them before v10 I would have noticed.
I have 2 cheap media players that play all formats that I’ve thrown at them. Including AVI and others that won’t play on ROKU. I doubt AVI is proprietary - it’s one of the oldest formats. Not supporting it is another fail for ROKU.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Roku officially support three containers: .MKV, .MP4, .MOV. Unofficially they also support .TS/.M2TS. I've been using Roku players for about 8 years. This has never changed. AVI has never been supported. AVI was developed by Microsoft in 1992, and while it has some advantages there are far more disadvantages compared to newer codecs and containers. I can't determine if Microsoft still requires a license to use it. But yes it is proprietary. 

Dan

0 Kudos