Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 11

Streaming TV Setup

I use Philo at $16/mo (grandfathered price) with unlimited storage cloud DVR, Hulu at $5.99/mo, Netflix at $12.99/mo, Prime Video at $0/mo (included with Amazon Prime that I'm already paying for), and a local private cable company 44 channel streaming package, including local major network channels, local subchannels, a few other channels, and 100 hour cloud DVR, at $19.99/mo (including a $10/mo bundle discount). For $54.97/mo for paid TV, in addition to so much content on FREE STREAMING SERVICES, I have more to watch than I know what to do with! Of course, that combination would be no good for those that need cable-type sports channels, or for those that can't / don't want to deal with commercials, but it's been working quite well for my household. With so much free content available, I really could cut out Netflix and/or Hulu. But sometimes they are also nice to have. so they stay for now. I currently use the above on a Sony Android TV and 5 Roku Streaming Sticks; I much prefer using the Roku Streaming Sticks!

I would really like to use an antenna to get the local major network channels and local subchannels, but even the best indoor antennas don't get the job done at my house, and I'm hesitant to go through the expense and hassle of setting up an attic antenna with no guarantee that I could get 100% of the local channels that I get flawlessly with my $19.99/mo streaming cable package, which also includes 100 hours of cloud DVR.

SUBSCRIPTION TV
$16 Philo (Legacy Plan; 45 Channels, 3 Streams, Unlimited/30 Days Cloud DVR) ($20/58 Channels New Subscribers)
$5.99 Hulu (2 Streams)
$12.99 Netflix (2 Streams)
$0 Prime Video (Included W/Amazon Prime) (3 Streams)
$19.99 Independent Cable "Local+" Streaming Package (Incl $10/mo Bundle Discount) (44 Channels, 3 Streams, 100 Hour Cloud DVR)
$0 FREE STREAMING SERVICES*
---------
$54.97/mo + Tax

*FREE STREAMING SERVICES (Selection; Others Also Available)
ABC NEWS abcnews.go.com/Live
CBS NEWS cbsnews.com/live
COMET comettv.com
COURT TV courttv.com
CRACKLE crackle.com (Previously Sony; Sony Still Partner)
CW SEED cwseed.com
FILMRISE filmrise.com
HOOPLA hoopladigital.com [Need Library Card]
IMDB imdb.com/tv (Amazon)
KANOPY kanopy.com [Need Library Card]
NEWS livestream.com/news [Local News]
NEWSNET yournewsnet.com
NewsON newson.us [Local News]
PBS pbs.org
PEACOCK TV peacocktv.com (Comcast/NBCUniversal; Expected July, 2020)
PLEX plex.tv
PLUTO TV pluto.tv (ViacomCBS)
POPCORNFLIX popcornflix.com
RED BULL TV redbull.com
REDBOX redbox.com/stream-free-live-tv
SHOUT! FACTORY TV shoutfactorytv.com
SLING sling.com [Free Options]
SNAGFILMS snagfilms.com
STIRR stirr.com (Sinclair)
THE CW cwtv.com
THE ROKU CHANNEL therokuchannel.roku.com
TUBI tubitv.com (Fox Corporation Acquiring)
VUDU vudu.com [Free Signup; Can Use walmart.com Acct] (Walmart; Fandango (Comcast/NBCUniversal) Acquiring)
YOUTUBE shorturl.at/bMOQX [Movies]
XUMO corp.xumo.com (Viant (Myspace Parent); Comcast Acquiring)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Streaming TV Setup

See if Locast (locast.org) has your market available. If they do, they offer every single OTA station in your market. While it is free, they do suggest a monthly donation, as low as $5 per month. If I used it regularly, I would gladly pay it. But myself I get a good OTA signal, so it's not critical for me. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Yeah.

I would love it if Locast was officially available in my area, as that would save me $14.99/mo ($19.99-$5) ($179.88/yr), but it isn't.

I have tested Locast using a work-around, but that work-around isn't as easily available using Roku devices.

I'd also lose the 100 hours cloud DVR, and the cable company $19.99/mo streaming service has been very reliable so far, so the cost isn't bothering me too much.

BUT... if Locast becomes available in my area, I'll probably switch and use it for $5/mo!  $$179.88/year ($14.99 x 12) would be a nice savings, even with losing DVR.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Have you tried Haystack? It's not the same as getting those local channels, but you do get headline streams from local news channels.

0 Kudos